[SOLVED] Middle fan on 1080 Strix only spins under heavier loads

ironcreeper2004

Reputable
Oct 25, 2017
My middle fan on my 1080 only spins when I'm in the middle of playing a game. All 3 fans spin as normal when playing a game but only the 2 left and right fans spin when it hits the temperature necessary for them to start spinning when idle. They'll spin to 1000rpm and then go back down until the temperature goes back up. Like I said though, all 3 fans still work when under load. It's just weird that when the fans need to spin for a couple seconds, the middle one won't.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
So it's normal? Because obviously it's harmless as it spins when it's most needed (under load).
Normal is such an imprecise word. Variation in the starting friction in a fan is not unusual. Fans aren't high precision devices. You can probably tweak your fan curves if it really bothers you. If it was me, I would ignore it.

kanewolf

Titan
My middle fan on my 1080 only spins when I'm in the middle of playing a game. All 3 fans spin as normal when playing a game but only the 2 left and right fans spin when it hits the temperature necessary for them to start spinning when idle. They'll spin to 1000rpm and then go back down until the temperature goes back up. Like I said though, all 3 fans still work when under load. It's just weird that when the fans need to spin for a couple seconds, the middle one won't.

Thanks for any help.
The bearings on that fan have more resistance. The voltage at minimum RPM isn't enough to overcome the friction. But the higher voltage for higher RPM is enough to overcome the static friction.

Reactions: ironcreeper2004

kanewolf

Titan
So it's normal? Because obviously it's harmless as it spins when it's most needed (under load).
Normal is such an imprecise word. Variation in the starting friction in a fan is not unusual. Fans aren't high precision devices. You can probably tweak your fan curves if it really bothers you. If it was me, I would ignore it.

Reactions: ironcreeper2004
Solution

ironcreeper2004

Reputable
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I've tweaked it just before you replied and that works fine. Was just a bit confused about it, thanks for the clarity on it.

TRENDING THREADS