Question Might be bios, might be unknown

samjacobson13

Prominent
Jul 8, 2018
I recently changed from i5-6600k to r5 3600 and kept the same graphics card. I install everything and update the bios and it starts working properly. I try to change my cooler and realize I don't have the proper bracket so I change back to the stock cooler. This is when my graphics card stops displaying anything at all from the pcie x16 slot. It does work from the x4 slot but there is a huge performance decrease. Is this a BIOS issue or do you guys have any other ideas?

Check the PCI-e slot for any bent pins, or any kind of physical damage. Do you have a spare GPU so that you can at least check the primary PCI-E slot ? Which cooler did you change, CPU's ?

Clear and reset the CMOS/BIOS settings to default values, and then try again. Which GPU are you having ? List the exact Model number and brand. Does it comes with a Dual BIOS switch ?

Provide FULL and complete system specs.

samjacobson13

Prominent
Jul 8, 2018
Check the PCI-e slot for any bent pins, or any kind of physical damage. Do you have a spare GPU so that you can at least check the primary PCI-E slot ? Which cooler did you change, CPU's ?

Clear and reset the CMOS/BIOS settings to default values, and then try again. Which GPU are you having ? List the exact Model number and brand. Does it comes with a Dual BIOS switch ?

Provide FULL and complete system specs.

Check PCI-e slot: no bent pins. I know this because I have tried the same thing on two different motherboards of the same model (b450 tomahawk) it doesn’t have dual bios. Gpu is a gigabyte gtx 1080 windforce.
I will try resetting the bios but I’m not exactly sure how to be honest. I’ll look at the manual/online.
R5 3600
Gtx 1080
B450 tomahawk
Corsair vengeance 16gb 3000mhz
Evga 650 watt 80+ gold psu
Samsung 850 250gb
WD BLUE 1tb
Cooler master atx case.