[SOLVED] Might have messed something up...

jcolejdawg

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
So Ive had two monitors for a couple months now and every time I boot my computer the bios or load screen shows up on the second monitor which is not a big deal but I was trying to find a way to boot on my primary monitor. Well I did a few google searches and stumbled upon this

• open Scheduled tasks: C:\Windows\System32\taskschd.msc
  • on left column, select Task Scheduler Library to be able to view tasks
  • on right column, select Create Basic Task
  • enter name for task (with no spaces, example: Monitor_Startup), click next
  • select When I log on for When do you want the task to start?, click next
  • select Start a program for What action do you want the task to perform?, click next
  • enter c:\windows\system32\displayswitch.exe for Program/script (when entering all data on my post, only enter the data between the ' 's, do NOT enter ' 'single quotes)
  • enter /external OR /internal for Add arguments (optional): (sometimes you have to guess which argument to use, because they are not necessarily named according to which monitor you think is internal/external)
  • click Finish
  • reboot and see if you have the right argument (/external or /internal),
  • if windows started on the correct monitor, you are finished, windows will always start on the same monitor.
If windows still starts on the wrong monitor, modify the task to switch the argument: - open Scheduled tasks: C:\Windows\System32\taskschd.msc - on left column, select Task Scheduler Library to be able to view tasks - in the middle column, locate the task you created (scroll if necessary), right click it, click properties - click the Actions Tab, click edit - switch the argument (/external from/to /internal)` , and click ok twice - reboot. Windows will always switch the monitor when you log on.
If you choose to stop this scheduled task, delete it: - open Scheduled tasks: C:\Windows\System32\taskschd.msc - on left column, select Task Scheduler Library to be able to view tasks - in the middle column, locate the task you created (scroll if necessary), right click it, click delete, click yes.
I hope this resolves your problem.

I tried it out and in a moment of stupidity I just ran the task instead of rebooting my pc. This made my monitors turn on and off a few times until just my primary turned on and the second stayed blank. I then restarted my computer and the BIOS still loads on secondary monitor but when I exit it just says no signal and goes back to being blank. I tried deleting the task and restarting and I have no earlier restore points. So im lost on what to do if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Solution
for BIOS selecting monitor, it will pick first monitor it finds, so you have to physicaly change disaply position on GPU ports
lets say GPU has 4 ports
port 0 - unused, port1 - 2nd monitor, port 2 - main monitor, port 3 - unused
port1 detected something and bios shows up there, GPU doesnt have named those ports which is which, but bios will tell you by which monitor it runs on it

now that switchdisplay
/internal - switch to primary display, secondary monitor gets disabled
/external - switch to secondary monitor, primary gets disabled
thats what those commands do
you need to use /extend command for two monitors
or press windows + P on keyboard , which will run this app so you can configure it in GUI enviroment

runing it as task on...
for BIOS selecting monitor, it will pick first monitor it finds, so you have to physicaly change disaply position on GPU ports
lets say GPU has 4 ports
port 0 - unused, port1 - 2nd monitor, port 2 - main monitor, port 3 - unused
port1 detected something and bios shows up there, GPU doesnt have named those ports which is which, but bios will tell you by which monitor it runs on it

now that switchdisplay
/internal - switch to primary display, secondary monitor gets disabled
/external - switch to secondary monitor, primary gets disabled
thats what those commands do
you need to use /extend command for two monitors
or press windows + P on keyboard , which will run this app so you can configure it in GUI enviroment

runing it as task on start with manual commands is nonsense for your use case, its handy if you have broken
laptop screen and youre forced to use 2nd monitor, as laptop internal is always main monitor, you will see nothing usefull on 2nd monitor unless you disable main

Reactions: jcolejdawg
Solution