[SOLVED] Migrate Intel Rapid Storage RAID 1 to New Computer

jethrodesign

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
Hi, I have a very old (but super reliable) computer based on an ASUS P5B motherboard. I have 4 internal SATA drives setup as 2 distinct RAID 1's using the Intel Rapid Storage Technology to set them up. 1 RAID set is my boot drive, the other is my data storage (photos, music, etc.).

- I want to migrate ONLY the data RAID 1 set to new computer. It is currently using 2 fairly new 1TB SATA drives in good condition.

I have a new computer on the way (Dell XPS 8930). It appears to support Intel Rapid Storage Tech from what I can tell (there are drivers available for it). It is coming with a 2TB SATA storage drive (boot is on M.2).

- What would be the best strategy for migrating the current RAID 1 set to the new computer?

I'm debating about using the existing two 1TB drives until they get older and keeping the new 2TB as a backup, or maybe getting another 2TB drive to make a 2TB RAID 1. Trying to understand pros/cons to each solution, especially for setup.

I'm guessing connecting at least 1 of the old drives internally on the new computer would be the most efficient way to transfer any data and/or rebuild the RAID onto the new drive, correct?!?

Thanks!

Solution
If you want data on your new pc in RAID1, then
  • get another 2TB drive,
    configure and set up RAID1,
    copy data from old pc to new one over network.

If you want to reuse old RAID1 drives in new pc, then
  • copy data over network from old pc to new 2TB drive,
    remove raid drives from old pc and connect to new pc,
    set up raid 1 on old drives in new pc,
    copy data from 2TB drive to RAID1.
If you want data on your new pc in RAID1, then
  • get another 2TB drive,
    configure and set up RAID1,
    copy data from old pc to new one over network.

If you want to reuse old RAID1 drives in new pc, then
  • copy data over network from old pc to new 2TB drive,
    remove raid drives from old pc and connect to new pc,
    set up raid 1 on old drives in new pc,
    copy data from 2TB drive to RAID1.

Solution

jethrodesign

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004

OK, that's probably the most straight-forward way I suppose. Transfer times for all the data may be the biggest issue.

I guess I was wondering if: A) the existing RAID 1 wouldn't need to be recreated from scratch if keeping it; or B) I could 'rebuild' the RAID from one of the old drives to the new if switching. Not sure how much time/trouble each solution may save.

- If there's a 3rd SATA port in the new computer, could I plug one of the old drives from the RAID set into the new computer to transfer data more efficiently?