Migrate only OS from HDD to new SSD

Biopanda

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Hello everyone.

Recently I obtained a new 120 GB SSD and would like to migrate my operating system into it from my current 1 TB hard drive. I found ways to do it but they all involve money or a full restart of my data.

My previous computer which had the old HDD was pre-built (and so was Windows) in case that needed to be known.

If I must spend money to transfer only my OS, do electronics/hardware stores usually have these software for services?

Thank you for reading my question!

Solution

So, for Win 10, install the OS on that drive. It should just activate, because you are only changing the drive.
Being a clean install, this of course means you'd have to reinstall all your applications, etc.
Steam games maybe not, but everything else, yes.

USAFRet

Titan
1. You can't transfer only the OS
2. There are multiple free applications that will migrate from your old drive to new drive, but current used space might be an issue.

On your current C drive, how much actual used space is taken up?
How much of that is Doc/Music/Video?
How much of that is Steam games?
Do you have another drive you can use or borrow?

Biopanda

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Hi, thanks for answering!

618 / 912 GB are being used on my C drive.

I can't exactly quantify or estimate what my usage is (Unless there's something I'm missing), but the bulk of my data is used by games/applications, everything else are a couple documents.

I don't know of anyone who has a backup drive or spare drive I can borrow :(

Would the only economically efficient way to go around this would be to reinstall Windows?

skitszo

Honorable
"Belarc"

will scan your system and document your software licenses; all you need is install media. you can then do a fresh install and activate it after.... thats how it is done with older windows... windows 10 might be a tad different.

the other thing you can do is get your system uninstalled enough and enough data off to fit with a complete "clone". but you need to make sure its under 80% of your drive capacity... 120GB x .75 = 90.... but i'd go a tad lower... but to be honest you should go atleast 250GB size.... they have gotten cheap enough.

USAFRet

Titan

Given that space usage, and the new 120GB SSD...you are pretty limited in options.
As said, you can't move 'only' the OS to the new drive.

What OS is this?
(and you really should have gotten a 250GB drive)

USAFRet

Titan

So, for Win 10, install the OS on that drive. It should just activate, because you are only changing the drive.
Being a clean install, this of course means you'd have to reinstall all your applications, etc.
Steam games maybe not, but everything else, yes.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Reduce the actual used space to below 90GB. Copy/Delete, Uninstall, whatever.

Then, this:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------