Question Migrate Win10 to larger SSD

Feb 14, 2019
Sorry if this has already been addressed, I didn't see anything that exactly covered it.

I built a PC in 2009 using Win 7 OEM on a 120GB SSD. It's since been updated to Win 10. I'd like to migrate the OS to a 500GB SSD (same motherboard). Can that be done without a complete Win 7 reinstall?

Use the Samsung ssd migration tool to move your C drive to a larger Samsung ssd.
When done, boot from the new ssd.
Download the app and user instructions here.
I have use this many times very easy.

Will that work even though the old one isn't a Samsung drive?

Yes it will; the key is that the NEW drive is Samsung. The list of supported targets are in the manual you download.
Double check that you have the correct source and target drives.

As an added step, at the end of the copy process, attach the old sata data cable to the new drive before you boot.

I would disconnect the old just to verify that all went well.
You can then reattach and erase the old windows folders or even reformat the 120gb ssd.
Consider keeping the old 120gb ssd out of the case as an emergency backup.

Reactions: beradical
Feb 14, 2019
Documenting for posterity, in case someone else tries this.

New drive was a Samsung 860EVO. That's not listed as compatible with Samsung's Data Migration Tool. I unplugged all drives except the old OS and the new Samsung. UEFI didn't even see the new Samsung attached. I booted up anyway, and the Data Migration Tool recognized the new drive right away. First attempt at migration failed, saying it could not create an image. There was only 4GB left on the old OS drive, so I thought that might have been the issue. The tool prompted me to reboot and auto-run chkdsk. I didn't figure that would make a difference, but I let it do that anyway.

After chkdsk finished, the migration tool came right back up and was ready to give it another go. This time it worked. I powered down & unplugged the old drive, leaving just the new Samsung. Everything booted up as normal, and Volume Manager automatically saw the new space. I did run into a few minor display driver issues, but that was it. Powered down & plugged in the rest of my drives. Painless overall.

Thanks to everybody who responded.