Migrate Windows 10 ONLY!!! to SSD

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Hello everyone. Just out of interest, is it possible to migrate only the Windows 10 to an SSD? I (would) want (if I get the SSD) to leave all my programs and games and files on the old hard drive, but use the SSD just for Windows. I think the Registry is not a major problem: I can just export it from old drive and import into a new one, right? But what about WinSxS folder, %appdata%, %programdata%, and many more stuff? I know I can redirect the appdata and programdata (and temp) to a different volume (forgot how, but know I can. I think in older Windows, you could do it through msconfig; can't find it on Win10).

Will ALL of my programs and games work just fine if I, say, upon installing the Windows 10 to the SSD, connect the old drive and remove the old Windows through msconfig? I have too much space busy with programs and games, I would need, basically, a 1 tb SSD to clone it. Now, that would be a major problem.

I would appreciate a well-described tutorial on it, if possible. But a simple 1-2 sentences long (he-he, just "yes" or "no" will not do) answer will work as well. Thanks to everyone who replies.

Solution

Changing the drive letter like that for "/Program Files/" will kill your OS. Many OS critical things will cease to work.

The vat majority of applications give you the opportunity to select where they get installed. This happens during the installation.
But really, you do want your applications...

Jwpanz

Honorable
The short answer is that you cannot “easily” move just an OS from one drive to another. A simple cloning tool will not do the trick and nor will trying to reconfigure Windows 10 and the MSR and the entire mapping of the drive.

However, there is a tool you can buy here https://www.paragon-software.com/home/migrate-OS-to-SSD/index.html
This tool is designed to move an OS to another drive. I did some of my own research on as I have never used it so tread carefully and take your time reading reviews and tutorials. I hope this helps.

Simplest procedure would be to
1. disconnect all other drives from your system.
2. connect the new SSD to the SATAport #1.
3. install Windows 10 to the SSD.
4. install any motherboard drivers.(CD provided by motherboard manufacturer)
5. connect to internet and install any and all windows updates.
6. re-connect your other drives(Volume letter will have changed)
7. re-install any and all other programs and apps(use advanced install to select what volume to install to).
8. Done!

You would have to do step 7 no matter what, as the registry would no longer know where the programs and apps are installed.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
So, what about this appdata folder relocation? How can I relocate it? As I mentioned, I think in earlier versions of Windows, I could do it through msconfig, but now there is no such option, if it was the case. Would the same work for %progra~1%? (driveletter:\Program Files)

As I said before, a clean install to a blank SSD would mean ALL Apps and programs would have to be re-installed. That process would set up a complete new AppData folder. You really wouldn't want any of the old AppData folder, as it would no longer point to the correct disk(s).

USAFRet

Titan
1. You can't migrate "only" the OS"
2. Your old AppData and /Users/ folders are of no use to a new OS
3. Given a new install on the new SSD, your old applications WILL NOT WORK
4. The Registry from the old OS? hahahaha....no, you can't move that in either.
5. Trying to redirect appdata and 'programdata' is a fools errand. Tears will result.

6. What size is this new SSD?

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
OK, so, basically, there is no any single way to migrate, just a fresh install of the OS and reinstall of all programs and games then? Well, that sucks... But, it's good to know that. Thanks.

BTW, it was never in the msconfig. I meant the Environment Variables! This is the place I would link, I guess, the %temp% to c:\users\username\appdata. Does changing the drive letter not solve the problem? That is what my question was, basically...

USAFRet

Titan

Changing the drive letter like that for "/Program Files/" will kill your OS. Many OS critical things will cease to work.

The vat majority of applications give you the opportunity to select where they get installed. This happens during the installation.
But really, you do want your applications on the SSD. Having them elsewhere tosses out 1/2 the functionality of having the SSD in the first place.

For other things, like Doc/Music/Pics that live in your Libraries, read here:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Solution

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Just as mentioned above, I have a lot of programs and games, and to move them all, I would need a 1tb ssd. That's too much, considering that I need, like, at least 50% of them to definitely stay, about 25% I might need some time in the future, and 25% might be removed. Still, it makes the ssd to be 512 gb, and I guess, it'll have no extra space on it. That is still a lot, and who knows, maybe I will need more programs or want more games later on...

Anyways, it was just an experiment, I wanted to learn if I can migrate it or not. Thanks for all of your replies, and I guess, it can never be done then. Thanks for all your good explanations.