[SOLVED] Migrated a SSD with windows to a new build

ikarihiokami

Honorable
Sep 25, 2014
So I have a new computer build. I wanted to move my ssd without having to reinstall windows. I tried the sysprep method, but my new PC doesn't see that SSD as a bootable device. I did do a system reset before hand, which uninstalled all my programs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My verson of windows 10 was upgraded from windows 7. It is NOT OEM.

Solution
Am I just better off doing a clean install? I have a usb for windows 10 from another computer. I have my Windows 10 key. I can always just get my files from the drive after I do a clean install on a new drive. I was just hoping to avoid that.
For a new PC, a clean install is almost always the best option.

ikarihiokami

Honorable
Sep 25, 2014
And that resulted in the actual boot partition ending up on whatever other drive was in the system.
Move what you think (and is) the C drive, but the boot partition remains on the other drive.

Yes, Windows is stupid like that.
Are you saying, try installing all previous drives to see if it will boot?

USAFRet

Titan
Am I just better off doing a clean install? I have a usb for windows 10 from another computer. I have my Windows 10 key. I can always just get my files from the drive after I do a clean install on a new drive. I was just hoping to avoid that.

Solution

ikarihiokami

Honorable
Sep 25, 2014

You know, the odd thing is, my SSD will still boot in my old PC, by itself. Since I syspreped it, it's making go through the set up again. Just wish I knew why my new PC wouldn't boot it. It saw the SSD.