Migrated User Profiles not applied unless user has local a..

I recently migrated numerous user profiles from XP SP2 workstations in an NT
domain to new XP SP2 desktops in an SBS 2003 domain. The original
workstations were formatted FAT32. The new workstations are NTFS.

I logged on to the old workstations as the Domain Admin and copied the user
profiles on each machine to the server. I then deployed the new system,
logged on as the users to create the folder structure, then logged on as the
Domain Admin, and overwrote the new local profiles with the copies stored on
the server. When logging on as the user without local admin rights, none of
the users settings were applied. If the user was made a local admin, then
the correct settings were applied.

I checked permissions and ownership of the files in the profiles. I had to
assign ownership of the files to the user as the domain administrator was
listed as owner. The permissions were correct.

Am I missing something? I never recall having this problem in the past.

See if this thread helps any :
http://snipurl.com/gnns
or
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs&tid=4de4b577-fe81-41f2-b64a-ca277a9e4e76&cat=en_US_9445f44b-b7bf-4043-bac8-df9d6cbfa41c&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1
If not, click the Windows Small Business Server General link at the top
of the page.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-20055]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Not Ken Burns wrote:

> I recently migrated numerous user profiles from XP SP2 workstations in an NT
> domain to new XP SP2 desktops in an SBS 2003 domain. The original
> workstations were formatted FAT32. The new workstations are NTFS.
>
> I logged on to the old workstations as the Domain Admin and copied the user
> profiles on each machine to the server. I then deployed the new system,
> logged on as the users to create the folder structure, then logged on as the
> Domain Admin, and overwrote the new local profiles with the copies stored on
> the server. When logging on as the user without local admin rights, none of
> the users settings were applied. If the user was made a local admin, then
> the correct settings were applied.
>
> I checked permissions and ownership of the files in the profiles. I had to
> assign ownership of the files to the user as the domain administrator was
> listed as owner. The permissions were correct.
>
> Am I missing something? I never recall having this problem in the past.

David

MowGreen,

Thanks for the response, but when I click on either link I am told the page
is unavailable.

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> See if this thread helps any :
> http://snipurl.com/gnns
> or
> http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs&tid=4de4b577-fe81-41f2-b64a-ca277a9e4e76&cat=en_US_9445f44b-b7bf-4043-bac8-df9d6cbfa41c&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1
> If not, click the Windows Small Business Server General link at the top of
> the page.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-20055]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
> Not Ken Burns wrote:
>
>> I recently migrated numerous user profiles from XP SP2 workstations in an
>> NT domain to new XP SP2 desktops in an SBS 2003 domain. The original
>> workstations were formatted FAT32. The new workstations are NTFS.
>>
>> I logged on to the old workstations as the Domain Admin and copied the
>> user profiles on each machine to the server. I then deployed the new
>> system, logged on as the users to create the folder structure, then
>> logged on as the Domain Admin, and overwrote the new local profiles with
>> the copies stored on the server. When logging on as the user without
>> local admin rights, none of the users settings were applied. If the user
>> was made a local admin, then the correct settings were applied.
>>
>> I checked permissions and ownership of the files in the profiles. I had
>> to assign ownership of the files to the user as the domain administrator
>> was listed as owner. The permissions were correct.
>>
>> Am I missing something? I never recall having this problem in the past.

Welcome, David/Not Ken Burns, or whomever ...
Not sure why you can not view the NG's. Can you access it through
here ?: http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
Click the English heading in the left frame and then scroll down to
Servers - Small Business Servers, expand it and click Windows Small
Business Servers - General
If you can do the above, then do a Search for this thread :
Newbie: Preserving XP Desktops NT > SBS?

WAIT a minute ... no wonder you can't access it. You're attempting to
view it in OE ? Use the same browser that you first posted the issue
with to view the NG or, click this to get there in OE:
Then download the headers of the NG and search for the thread that
originated on 5/16/2005.

MG

David wrote:

> MowGreen,
>
> Thanks for the response, but when I click on either link I am told the page
> is unavailable.
>

> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>
>>See if this thread helps any :
>>http://snipurl.com/gnns
>>or
>>http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs&tid=4de4b577-fe81-41f2-b64a-ca277a9e4e76&cat=en_US_9445f44b-b7bf-4043-bac8-df9d6cbfa41c&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1
>>If not, click the Windows Small Business Server General link at the top of
>>the page.
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-20055]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>
>>Not Ken Burns wrote:
>>

>>>I recently migrated numerous user profiles from XP SP2 workstations in an
>>>NT domain to new XP SP2 desktops in an SBS 2003 domain. The original
>>>workstations were formatted FAT32. The new workstations are NTFS.
>>>
>>>I logged on to the old workstations as the Domain Admin and copied the
>>>user profiles on each machine to the server. I then deployed the new
>>>system, logged on as the users to create the folder structure, then
>>>logged on as the Domain Admin, and overwrote the new local profiles with
>>>the copies stored on the server. When logging on as the user without
>>>local admin rights, none of the users settings were applied. If the user
>>>was made a local admin, then the correct settings were applied.
>>>
>>>I checked permissions and ownership of the files in the profiles. I had
>>>to assign ownership of the files to the user as the domain administrator
>>>was listed as owner. The permissions were correct.
>>>
>>>Am I missing something? I never recall having this problem in the past.

Thanks. Sorry about the HTTP vs OE issue. Posted on one computer and read
on my laptop. I did not realize there was a difference. I found the post,
but had to use the browser based version. Could not locate it in OE groups.

> Welcome, David/Not Ken Burns, or whomever ...
> Not sure why you can not view the NG's. Can you access it through
> here ?: http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
> Click the English heading in the left frame and then scroll down to
> Servers - Small Business Servers, expand it and click Windows Small
> Business Servers - General
> If you can do the above, then do a Search for this thread :
> Newbie: Preserving XP Desktops NT > SBS?
>
> WAIT a minute ... no wonder you can't access it. You're attempting to view
> it in OE ? Use the same browser that you first posted the issue with to
> view the NG or, click this to get there in OE:
> Then download the headers of the NG and search for the thread that
> originated on 5/16/2005.
>

> MG
>
> David wrote:
>
>> MowGreen,
>>
>> Thanks for the response, but when I click on either link I am told the
>> page is unavailable.
>>

>> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>See if this thread helps any :
>>>http://snipurl.com/gnns
>>>or
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs&tid=4de4b577-fe81-41f2-b64a-ca277a9e4e76&cat=en_US_9445f44b-b7bf-4043-bac8-df9d6cbfa41c&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1
>>>If not, click the Windows Small Business Server General link at the top
>>>of the page.
>>>

>>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-20055]
>>>===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>>Never Forgotten
>>>===============

Mow,

I just took a look at the suggested article. It does not appear to have
resolved the posters problem as he never replied to the last post from the
MVP. I must confess that I did not use the ADMT tool, but from my reading,
that did not work for that particular poster.

It is apparently a permissions issue, or a policy setting enforced by the
SBS server. Has anyone found a work around other than giving the user local
admin rights?

Thanks

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Welcome, David/Not Ken Burns, or whomever ...
> Not sure why you can not view the NG's. Can you access it through
> here ?: http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
> Click the English heading in the left frame and then scroll down to
> Servers - Small Business Servers, expand it and click Windows Small
> Business Servers - General
> If you can do the above, then do a Search for this thread :
> Newbie: Preserving XP Desktops NT > SBS?
>
> WAIT a minute ... no wonder you can't access it. You're attempting to view
> it in OE ? Use the same browser that you first posted the issue with to
> view the NG or, click this to get there in OE:
> Then download the headers of the NG and search for the thread that
> originated on 5/16/2005.
>

> MG
>
> David wrote:
>
>> MowGreen,
>>
>> Thanks for the response, but when I click on either link I am told the
>> page is unavailable.
>>

>> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>See if this thread helps any :
>>>http://snipurl.com/gnns
>>>or
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs&tid=4de4b577-fe81-41f2-b64a-ca277a9e4e76&cat=en_US_9445f44b-b7bf-4043-bac8-df9d6cbfa41c&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1
>>>If not, click the Windows Small Business Server General link at the top
>>>of the page.
>>>

>>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-20055]
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>>Never Forgotten

Perhaps it would be best to post your issue in the SBS NG. After all,
we're just XP plebes around these here parts. ;)

MG