Migrating C: to a fresh partition

sorican

Commendable
Nov 27, 2017
I'm buying a new cheapo-laptop that will serve my needs, specifically, an 11-inch acer with two drives on board- the first is a 32gb eMMc drive, which is where I assume C: will be installed, and a 1tb spinning-drive where is 'storage'.

does anybody know if win10 will complain if I try to change it's install location onto a modest partition of that 1tb drive, so I can give debian the eMMC drive with some swap space?

I seem to recall the last time I changed disk drives on a windows box, I ended up having to let a microsoft agent remote in. and then convince him that the old hard disk had failed, prompting the new one.

Solution
once activated win 10 should install to any drive in the laptop. so installing it to your hdd should be as simple as booting up the usb drive and installing it.

i would remove the small ssd though to be sure it does not try to install to that. but there should be no problems with it activating once it is installed to the hdd.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
once activated win 10 should install to any drive in the laptop. so installing it to your hdd should be as simple as booting up the usb drive and installing it.

i would remove the small ssd though to be sure it does not try to install to that. but there should be no problems with it activating once it is installed to the hdd.

Solution

sorican

Commendable
Nov 27, 2017

thank you for the quick reply! I'm glad that it shouldn't be a problem... for whatever reason, those rare occasions where I have to do something with MS tech support makes me grumbley.

my understanding of eMMc's are that they're surface-mounted flash storage on the moboard itself (as in tablets and netbooks), so uninstalling isn't really an option.

TRENDING THREADS