[SOLVED] Migrating from GPT SSD to WD Back M.2 NVMe on Asus Z97 Pro UEFI motherboard

CMayo

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
Having nearly outgrown my 240GB SSD Windows 10 boot drive, I found the WD Black 1TB M.2 NVMe on sale last week and bought one, thinking I could simply image my SSD, restore the image to the M.2 and reboot into the M.2. That turned out not to be the case, and after four brutal days of working on it, I've decided to ask you guys for some help. I'm sure the best course of action would be to install a fresh Win 10 OS onto the M.2 and start re-installing my apps and docs, but that's more hassle than it's worth, so I'm really trying to get the clone working.

First, my SSD has a GPT partition scheme, but the only way I've been able to get the M.2 to boot is to let the Windows 10 installer create an MBR volume (three partitions) to install onto.

If I clone the SSD (five partitions) straight to the M.2 I wind up with a GPT M.2 which causes the PC to bluescreen with "Stopcode: Inaccessible boot device."

If I start with a clean MBR Windows install on the M.2, then replace the M.2's C: partition with the SSD's C: partition, my PC bluescreen's with "Stopcode: Inaccessible boot device."

If I use bcdboot (per https://bit.ly/2NADSLL) to rebuild the boot files on the M.2 after cloning the SSD's C: partition onto it, I still get the "Stopcode: Inaccessible boot device" blue screen, but I'm not at all sure I did the bcdboot thing right.

Does anyone have any tips/ideas/suggestions for me?