Migrating From NT

Dare I say it, but it cant be put off any longer. My fingers tremble as I
type: migrating my NT 4.0 domain to W2K or W2K3. I have several NT DC's,
Exchange 5.5 and a W2K Terminal Server installed as a member server, all
clients are W2K. The 10th floor window ledge is looking rather attractive at
the moment. Can anyone recommend a good starting point as in text to read
(books or links) that will prevent as much bloodshed as possible?
Thanks very much!!

I would suggest getting a local consultant especially since Exchange 5.5 is
in the mix. This isn't extremely hard but having some experience and knowing
what to look out for are critical at this stage and you can seriously shoot
yourself in the foot if you do not do this right. There are plenty of doc at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/directory/activedirectory/default.mspx

i would so some reading and get someone locally to at least help you plan.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"group6" <group6@killspamsnet.net> wrote in message
> Dare I say it, but it cant be put off any longer. My fingers tremble as I
> type: migrating my NT 4.0 domain to W2K or W2K3. I have several NT DC's,
> Exchange 5.5 and a W2K Terminal Server installed as a member server, all
> clients are W2K. The 10th floor window ledge is looking rather attractive
at
> the moment. Can anyone recommend a good starting point as in text to read
> (books or links) that will prevent as much bloodshed as possible?
> Thanks very much!!

Yes, there are many lions, tigers and bears along the way. I would like to
do it myself though, I mean Im not a complete schmo (MCSE, MCP+I, CCNA, A+)
and Ive been admining there 4 years. But in all honesty, I know next to
nothing about AD. Consultants want too much $. It could be my Sistine Chapel
OR my Waterloo...

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I would suggest getting a local consultant especially since Exchange 5.5
is
> in the mix. This isn't extremely hard but having some experience and
knowing
> what to look out for are critical at this stage and you can seriously
shoot
> yourself in the foot if you do not do this right. There are plenty of doc
at

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/directory/activedirectory/default.mspx

> i would so some reading and get someone locally to at least help you plan.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "group6" <group6@killspamsnet.net> wrote in message
> > Dare I say it, but it cant be put off any longer. My fingers tremble as
> > type: migrating my NT 4.0 domain to W2K or W2K3. I have several NT DC's,
> > Exchange 5.5 and a W2K Terminal Server installed as a member server, all
> > clients are W2K. The 10th floor window ledge is looking rather
attractive
> at
> > the moment. Can anyone recommend a good starting point as in text to
read
> > (books or links) that will prevent as much bloodshed as possible?
> > Thanks very much!!

The key to AD is DNS *nothing* in AD works right without properly configured
DNS.
See:
How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

As fart as going from NT to AD you can either migrate:

How to Set Up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260871

Or upgrade:

How To: Upgrade Windows NT Server 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE