Question Migrating game data from old SSD to new one ?

tole

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
I originally installed a 250gb m.2 drive to use for games and that's been mostly enough because I stick to playing 1-2 at a time but now most games are 100gb+ so I bought a 2tb m.2 drive.

What I want to do is move the data from the old one to the new one, I thought I'd be as simple as putting all the files from the old one onto an external drive and just migrating them to the new one but that isn't working. Is there a program I can use to make a copy of the old drive? I've tried backup programs but they all want to override the data thats already on the external drive which I don't want.

tole

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
There is such a thing as "cloning". Somewhat different than "backup".

Direct from old drive to new drive.

No intermediate drive required.

Anything already on the "new" drive (if anything) would be wiped out.

Cloning was my first go to but it wants to override data and the problem I'm having is I don't have an m.2 dock which would let me move the data directly over and my motherboard only has 1 slot, so I need an intermediate drive to temporarily hold the data without wiping out anything already on the external drive.

tole

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Posting an update for anyone who's trying to do the same thing and finds this post.

If you're in the same situation try resizing the external hd's partition, then create a temp partition to hold the backup data which will avoid it erasing whatever is already on the external--this is why I created this thread to find out, I knew it was possible but its been so long since I messed with partitions I forgot they existed.

By the time I realized I could have just resized the external's partition I already had an m.2 enclosure, with the enclosure install the new m.2 into the pc, put the old one into the enclosure.
The app I ended up using was "aomei partition assistant", create a partition on the new m.2 and the app lets you just clone the old drive onto the new one.

Mods can close this its solved.