Migrating HDD OS to new SSHD

JonnyLo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about migrating to a new SSHD from an HDD on my desktop?. I have watched a couple videos on YouTube about how to do this, but am not sure of any of them. I was wondering if a fresh install then restoring from a system image off an external HDD would work as an option? Or if anyone has a simple option for doing this? TIA!

Solution
The SHD concept...
It does not move 'the boot files'
But rather those blocks of data that are used the most.
If it is the OS drive, yes, it will be those blocks related to the OS.

The drive firmware, over time, learns and knows what blocks are used most often, and those end up in the 8GB SSD space.
Write speed to that drive is exactly the same as a traditional HDD, and read speed of data that does not exist in the SSD portion is also at HDD speed.
And you, the user, have no influence over what exists in that SSD space. It is all invisible to you.

For the boot time, it will almost certainly be 'faster' than a traditional HDD. Most other operatins, not so much.

And during the cloning process, you can deselect that original Win 7...

USAFRet

Titan

1. " I was wondering if a fresh install then restoring from a system image off an external HDD would work as an option?"
No...that cannot work.

2. Is the current used space on your HDD significantly smaller than the size of the new SSHD?

3. If so, clone from old to new.
Thusly:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

USAFRet

Titan

Zero difference, as long as the consumed space and drive size works.
HDD->SSD
HDD->SSHD
HDD->HDD

That above is just my boilerplate text. All the same.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

OK, I'm confused. I thought the SSHD was simply a HDD with a large persistent cache to store oft-used data.

USAFRet

Titan

You're exactly correct. The SSD portion is invisible to the user and the OS or cloning procedure.

The cloning operation works going from any drive type to any other drive type.

(edit: spelling)

JonnyLo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016

JonnyLo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016

I will give it a try, also, the current drive has a D: drive partition that was originally used for the recovery space on the Win 7 that originally came on this PC.. If I do clone the disk drive from the current one can I eliminate this partition? I really don't have anything stored on that part of the drive and would rather keep the drive as one space... what is saved on the drive I can move to an external and put it back onto the C: after the switchout. Also, reading farther down into the discussion about the use of the SSD portion of the disk, I bought the hybrid because it was my understanding that in time the drive will move all the boot files to that part of the drive increasing boot speed. Is this correct? i do power down every day because there is an issue where my PC won't stay asleep.. yes I have been all through the various different forums and have tried everything and investigated every end and the most information I can get from my PC is that it is undetermined what is waking it up..... EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!! Especially since it will go through periods where it will stay asleep for up to a couple weeks and then go back in to a state of spontaniously waking up! Anyway thanks for the info!

USAFRet

Titan
The SHD concept...
It does not move 'the boot files'
But rather those blocks of data that are used the most.
If it is the OS drive, yes, it will be those blocks related to the OS.

The drive firmware, over time, learns and knows what blocks are used most often, and those end up in the 8GB SSD space.
Write speed to that drive is exactly the same as a traditional HDD, and read speed of data that does not exist in the SSD portion is also at HDD speed.
And you, the user, have no influence over what exists in that SSD space. It is all invisible to you.

For the boot time, it will almost certainly be 'faster' than a traditional HDD. Most other operatins, not so much.

And during the cloning process, you can deselect that original Win 7 Recovery partition. If you do, it will not go to the new drive.

Solution

JonnyLo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016

Thanks So Much! I Appreciate Your Help!