Question migrating large disk from xp64

someduude

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013
I find that my large xp64 created GPT disk partitions are not seen by win7 or win10.
both OS just offer to initialize the already data heavy disks.
I tried to initialize and partition a large gpt disk from win10 and install it to the xp64 machine hoping
to copy the files to a partition scheme that win10 could use but no luck there either.
the only solution i see is to copy over via LAN but it seems there should be a better solution.
why would win10 not recognize microsofts xp64 scheme?

these drives are not OS contianing drive but for storage only.
thx

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you mean Win XP 64 bit?
XP Service pack 2 should recognise GPT drives - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...on-table/c5d3c31b-a4e2-46d0-a384-632b33a7d04d and you know that since you created some.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-and-gpt-faq

AFAIK GPT format hasn't changed since introduction. there is no real need as we not even scratched surface of its data storage capabilities. So I am unsure why neither can read drives. Have you tried booting off a linux liveusb and see if it can access them? - https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

someduude

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013
Do you mean Win XP 64 bit?
XP Service pack 2 should recognise GPT drives -

yes

sorry for the delayed reply.

i have found that the problem is related to confusion about the raid driver and controller config.

Foxconn a78ax AMD chipset

i have a choice of using a raid driver or sata driver for the same sata controller device.

i installed a large GPT drive formatted and loaded
on another machine running win10PE and again it was not recognized and was offered to initialize it.
i previously had the raid driver installed and decided to switch to the sata driver and viola this newly connected disk files became visable however the
two older natively` installed and formatted drives
became inaccessible.
oddly one of them prompted the offer to initialize
and the other claimed to be unformatted.
I suppose I should stay with the SATA driver and somehow format and re-load the other two disks?
i also changed the combined mode to disable to commit all ports to sata but saw no change , this was after uninstalling the raid driver tho.

Last edited:

someduude

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013
i edited the previous post.
i did have a data corruption but i know
what caused it.
i dont want it confusing the issue i posted here.
i will be testing the sata driver again.

someduude

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013
why the **** would AMD make a driver that writes
data not readable by conventional sata controller chips?

so to fix this i'm thinking i need to add a pci SATA card or i need to copy some terabytes
via LAN.

am i going to be able to move the drives created on the pci card to other machines or same issue with that also?

someduude

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013
update;
this is a bonehead move i made and forgot about.
last year i was experimenting with the raid feature and inserted a couple disks into a JBOD.
since i have no clue what i'm doing when it comes to raid i dont know if i can un-raid them.
since i cant seem to work with regular disks without changing bios setting that makes those loaded drives
unreadable, i ordered a sata card.
drives created in the sata card should be readable in other machines no?

Last edited:

someduude

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013
so i was wrong these are not my problem.
its not a jbod issue.
this is still an issue with the secondary AMD sata / ahci / raid controller set for ahci in the primary bios. with the AMD raid /ahci driver loaded. i have another driver called only sata but its name changes to "sata (ide mode)" when i turn the bios to native ide or legacy IDE the problem remains.
i purchased an Asmedia 1061 pcie sata controller
to copy the data from those drive that dont import into other computers. Its not clear to me how to choose AHCi mode on the on the Asmedia so i suppose it is defaulted to AHCI
i have copied my data thru it to 2 different drives,as a step to reconfiguring all drives to be portable to other machines.
what i dont understand is what is different than my 3tb WD.
under the AMD SATA driver switching away from the AMD raid/ahci driver, i can create on my 3tb WDgreen a volume that plays well with both the AMD and the Asmedia AND other machines,
i also tested it creating under the Asmedia card and got same portability with all 3 hosts.
something seems different with my 8TB WD red
created under the Asmedia card as was the 3TB green WD but the larger drive will not read under the AMD controller mounted and healthy it just claims corrupt or unknown format.
i have tried switching to Native and Legacy IDE in bios and neither seems to solve it.
the only thing i havent tried was creating the large drives thru the newly installed AMD non-raid driver however i dont see why i need to do so if the 3TB plays well all directions.

someduude

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013
i must add the two large drives were possibly one time inserted into a jbod but i switched back to AHCI mode in the bios which i thought mage those settings irrelevant.
i was careful convert the initialzation format away from and back to GPT thinking that should wipe away any previous configs.
is it likeley these large drives retained that flag or etc?
excuse my jargon am unfamiliar with raids.
i did find a thread that discussed removing drives from a raid to convert to ahci and the replies stated the
controllers some brands will create un-portable volumes.
please tell me i dont have to wipe and re-load 11TB yet again.

someduude

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013
i booted it to strelec win10pe and the dirvers can see the data fine the old winxp amd driver is buggered inherently somehow. now that my data is copied off the seeming proprietery driver /controller culprits i guess its time to install win7 or 8 etc.
i have to use a new drive i need to keep this one until i go thru my archives to determine if any of those are locked up by these evil drivers.

is there any free app that makes migration to newer os really easy?
it seems i browsed those some but experience knows best.