Migrating OS (only, from its own partition) from HDD to SSD whiel keeping all other files on HDD

Jul 4, 2018
I have a 1TB HDD and soon going to buy the Solid State Drive (SSD) Kingston A400, 240GB, 2.5", SATA III, the HDD is partition - C: (OS), D: (files,programs,games). I am probably going to use EaseUS Partition Master. How can I migrate only the OS partition? How do I then rename the SSD partition C:? How do I reformat the OS partition on the HDD and add it to the other partition? If possible a step by step gued will be great for me other people in the future.

Solution
I didn't start this thread, but I have the same question. I currently have a Windows 10 system with two 2GB HDDs in a (motherboard-based) software RAID-1 configuration partitioned as follows according to the Disk Management utility:

"System Reserved" 100 MB, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
(C: ) 390.09 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
450 MB, Healthy (Recovery Partition)
(D: ) 1269.53 GB NTFS, Healthy (Page File, Primary Partition)
202.86 GB Unallocated

The C: partition is the boot drive with most program files. Most, but not all, of the user files (\Users) are on D: rather than C:.

I would like to move all of the files on the boot partition (C: ) to a 500 GB SSD.

So, a few questions:

(1) How do...

USAFRet

Titan

What size is the OS partition, specifically?
Please show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

USAFRet

Titan

I've seen one or two of those in the past.
And they never ever actually work the way you think they should.

Let's see what his current partition scheme looks like.

ProperlyPsychotic

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016

Ok thanks for telling me, good to know.

Jul 4, 2018

Here you go.

ephraim3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I didn't start this thread, but I have the same question. I currently have a Windows 10 system with two 2GB HDDs in a (motherboard-based) software RAID-1 configuration partitioned as follows according to the Disk Management utility:

"System Reserved" 100 MB, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
(C: ) 390.09 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
450 MB, Healthy (Recovery Partition)
(D: ) 1269.53 GB NTFS, Healthy (Page File, Primary Partition)
202.86 GB Unallocated

The C: partition is the boot drive with most program files. Most, but not all, of the user files (\Users) are on D: rather than C:.

I would like to move all of the files on the boot partition (C: ) to a 500 GB SSD.

So, a few questions:

(1) How do I transfer the OS and all files on C: to a new SSD and have the system boot from that SSD?
(2) How do I do this while maintaining D: on the old HDD as most of the User files?
(3) Is there anything special that I need to do with my Windows 10 license to make it work on the new SSD?
(4) Do I need to do anything in BIOS so that the RAID-1 configuration remains on the old HDD but the system now boots from a new SSD?

Thanks in advance.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

One at a time...:lol:
Your condition is slightly different that the OP.

We'll end up with conflicting recommendations.

Start a new thread for yours, and send me the link.
I think your situation is a bit easier, and it probably CAN be done.