Migrating RAID 0 Array

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
Hi Guys,
I am new to using RAID in any format.
I recently moved my system to a RAID Stripe array to speed it up but have discovered an unrecoverable fault on my current motherboard (Intel DX58SO).
So I am wanting to migrate the array to another motherboard (ASUS P6T6 WS) that has the same intel-based RAID chipset and support - will the array migrate or will I have to reinstall everything?
Thanks in advance everyone :)

Solution
No, you cannot migrate RAID 5 or RAID 1 any easier than RAID 0. In all cases, the only way to safely migrate the data from one RAID controller to another is to fully backup the data and then restore it to the newly built RAID. Most RAID controllers will want to initialize the disk and will likely store the RAID meta data differently on the drives.

DR_Luke

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
No, you cannot migrate RAID 5 or RAID 1 any easier than RAID 0. In all cases, the only way to safely migrate the data from one RAID controller to another is to fully backup the data and then restore it to the newly built RAID. Most RAID controllers will want to initialize the disk and will likely store the RAID meta data differently on the drives.

Solution