migrating to SSD

TigerAhulane

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
ok so i just bought a new 250gb samsung 850 evo SSD. i installed it into my comp and now im stuck on what i need to do now, first time with ssd's. i would like my OS and my steam/steam games on my ssd and then use my hhd for my storage. i do have the migration disc installed that came with my ssd, how do i go about doing it?

1. i read online that i have to make sure that the stuff on my current hard drive is less thann the space on my ssd to migrate so i have a external harddrive to copy all other stuff to.

2 where is the os located on my hardrive so i can leave that to be migrated. i found my steam folder so i can leave that on hardrive to migrate just need location of OS so i can leave that on hardrive and then move everything else to external harddrive.

Solution

You can have the Steam client on the SSD no problem. Is there enough space for all your actual games that live in the SteamApps folder?

What do you need to keep on the current C drive?
Basically, everything except your personal files. Doc/Music/Video/Downloads.
If you have not enough space, start uninstalling some applications. Move your personal files to the external drive.

How much space is currently consumed on your C drive, and what, exactly, is it?

USAFRet

Titan
For a successful migration, you need to prepare a little bit.
That you have another external drive is a good thing.

During the migration process, you can't sat this Yes, that No. BAsically, everything on that C drive goes to the new SSD.
Reduce the current used space on your current C drive to below 200GB.
Your SteamApps folder can be copied to the external as one piece.

Once your system is below that magic number, do this:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

After it is actually running on the SSD, you can copy the games back to a folder, any folder, on the HDD.
In the Steam client, designate that folder ont he HDD as the default.
Thusly:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
5RXQa0Y.jpg

TigerAhulane

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
well i want steam on ssd as well. right now i am moving stuff over to my external hardrive but i need to know exactly what files i need to keep on hard drive for windows 10 to be migrated over to ssd

USAFRet

Titan

You can have the Steam client on the SSD no problem. Is there enough space for all your actual games that live in the SteamApps folder?

What do you need to keep on the current C drive?
Basically, everything except your personal files. Doc/Music/Video/Downloads.
If you have not enough space, start uninstalling some applications. Move your personal files to the external drive.

How much space is currently consumed on your C drive, and what, exactly, is it?

Solution