Migrating windows 10 from HDD to SS?

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
I'm getting an SSD soon, but i'm wondering how i'm going to port windows 10 over to it. I downloaded the upgrade from 7 so i clearly can't just boot from a disc. is there anyway to safely move it over without having to do too much leg work?

Also is it possible to do it without it affecting my user files/applications?

Thanks.

Solution
Is your windows partition separate from data partition?
If not, then no cloning software will be able to clone 2TB data into 250GB SSD.

But you can move your data - videos, music, documents, savegames to another disk,
uninstall some software until what's left can be squeezed into SSD.

You can do clean windows 10 install also using windows 7 install key.

snowctrl

Distinguished
Buy an SSD that comes with cloning software - Sumsung SSDs will have this for example. You plug the SSD into a spare Sata port, install and run the cloning software which will copy your HD onto the SSD, then turn off the PC and unplug the HD, leaving your PC to boot from the SSD

This is the standard way to install an SSD

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

The SSD i'm looking at is the "Samsung 750 EVO 250GB SSD". You said it will come with a clone software, does it know only to clone windows across? My main HDD with windows is 2TB with 100gb left. Obviously this isn't going to fit on a 250gb SSD.

Sorry for the potentially stupid questions, just don't wanna drop 100 bucks if it's gonna be a major hassle.

Edit: Yea just googled, you can't just move windows over apparently, have to do a clean install which i don't see how is possible when windows 10 was a digital upgrade. I'll just spend the money on a couple games.

Is your windows partition separate from data partition?
If not, then no cloning software will be able to clone 2TB data into 250GB SSD.

But you can move your data - videos, music, documents, savegames to another disk,
uninstall some software until what's left can be squeezed into SSD.

You can do clean windows 10 install also using windows 7 install key.

Solution

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

Dang, so i'm basically gonna have to uninstall 1.5TB worth of stuff to clone it. I don't have any spare drives to move it to so 1TB of that will be steam games i'll have to re download on very average internet speeds, that would take at least a month. Definitely isn't worth this much trouble. I'll just make sure to get an SSD on my next build.

Thanks for helping.