Question Migrating Windows 10 installation and files from HDD to blank SSD

illusineer

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Hi. I am swapping out my PC case, motherboard, CPU, RAM and adding 2 1TB HDDs and 1 500gb SSD in addition to my 1TB HDD with all my files/games/settings/drivers/blahblah. Is it possible to install Win10 on the SSD, boot off it and move my files/games off my original 1TB HDD without messing with the Win10 install on my original drive?

USAFRet

Titan
Hi. I am swapping out my PC case, motherboard, CPU, RAM and adding 2 1TB HDDs and 1 500gb SSD in addition to my 1TB HDD with all my files/games/settings/drivers/blahblah. Is it possible to install Win10 on the SSD, boot off it and move my files/games off my original 1TB HDD without messing with the Win10 install on my original drive?
Not the way you're thinking.

Drivers/settings/applications can't be moved over from the old OS drive to the new.
That all needs a clean install with the new OS.

Your personal files, and things like Steam games, yes.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

Then, you do a clean install of the OS on the drive in the new hardware.

Get all your drivers installed, and your applications.
The Steam client, for instance.

Later, you reconnect the old drives, and start to find and copy over your personal data.
Not the applications.

Reactions: DMAN999

illusineer

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Would I be able to clean install Win10 on my SSD via flash drive, install drivers, then boot off, connect my old drive(with windows 10 installed on it with games/files) + my two new HDDs, boot up and start moving files from my old drive to the SSD and HDDs? Then after moving the files/games off my old drive would I be able to format my old drive with no problems?

USAFRet

Titan
Would I be able to clean install Win10 on my SSD via flash drive, install drivers, then boot off, connect my old drive(with windows 10 installed on it with games/files) + my two new HDDs, boot up and start moving files from my old drive to the SSD and HDDs? Then after moving the files/games off my old drive would I be able to format my old drive with no problems?
No need to ever boot from the old drive.
Especially with all new parts. It may fail completely.

Just access the old drive as a secondary, and copy data from it.
Do not boot from it.

Reactions: DMAN999

illusineer

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Whoops, I mean't to say start out with the SSD connected and flashed to Win10, then connect my old drive to take files off of it. I can access my old drive while booted off my SSD right?

USAFRet

Titan