[SOLVED] Migrating Windows 7 from HDD to SSD issues

May 6, 2021
Hi all, apologies in advance for what may end up being a really stupid question.

The hard drive my Windows OS (Windows 7) is on is failing and so I recently bought an SSD to transfer the OS to and use as the boot drive. I attempted to use AOMEI's tool to do the job, however while it was working on transferring data the operation aborted because of a bad sector. I am in no way attached to Windows 7 and would be willing to get Windows 10, but I'm not sure how to do this in the sense that it seems like it would cause problems to have two different OS versions installed on one machine (of course, I would remove Windows 7 after installing 10 but I don't know if there would be issues with that along the way). Furthermore, when I took a look at AOMEI again to check out what other features it might have to help me with this, a few things had changed (see screenshots).

I am not sure if I need to format drive G (the SSD) in order for this to work (lol). The "Migrate OS to SSD or HDD" option no longer lets me select the SSD to migrate to (the "next" button is greyed out in the second screenshot).

IW3RZYH.png

JnaZQsd.png

I just want to have my OS on my SSD and I don't want to lose any data. I don't care if that OS is Windows 7 or Windows 10. What is the best way to achieve this?

Thank you

Solution
Two options:

a) Try the samsung ssd migration app to clone your HDD to the new ssd.
Here is a link to the instructions and app:
One restriction is that windows must not be defective.

b) Do a clean windows 10 install on the new ssd.
DO NOT have your HDD connected during the process.
When done, you can reconnect your HDD and data folders will be available.

To preserve your windows license you should first secure a digital license for your current os.
May 6, 2021
Thank you for your reply--

Here is the screenshot from the Disk Management screen

aoXP8oq.png

The new SSD is a Samsung 860 EVO 500gb, my failing HDD is also 500gb and it has about ~60 gigs free right now.

I'm not so concerned with transferring my files from the HDD to the SSD as I am with either moving the current OS (Windows 7) to the SSD or just getting Windows 10 on the new SSD. I don't know if the issues I'm having currently would affect doing the latter or not, and if they wouldn't affect doing that I'm not sure how to go about doing so in a way that won't cause issues.

Thanks again

Two options:

a) Try the samsung ssd migration app to clone your HDD to the new ssd.
Here is a link to the instructions and app:
One restriction is that windows must not be defective.

b) Do a clean windows 10 install on the new ssd.
DO NOT have your HDD connected during the process.
When done, you can reconnect your HDD and data folders will be available.

To preserve your windows license you should first secure a digital license for your current os.

Reactions: helper800
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for your reply--

Here is the screenshot from the Disk Management screen

The new SSD is a Samsung 860 EVO 500gb, my failing HDD is also 500gb and it has about ~60 gigs free right now.

I'm not so concerned with transferring my files from the HDD to the SSD as I am with either moving the current OS (Windows 7) to the SSD or just getting Windows 10 on the new SSD. I don't know if the issues I'm having currently would affect doing the latter or not, and if they wouldn't affect doing that I'm not sure how to go about doing so in a way that won't cause issues.

Thanks again
If your clonong tool is halting in the middle, you've probably left it too late.

And you can't split off "Only Windows 7" for the clone operation.
All or nothing.

So, fresh OS install on the new drive.
Discover your current WIN 7 license. Belarc Advisor can probably retrieve that for you.
You'll use this in the install of Win 10.

Then...

TRENDING THREADS