migration from NT to Win2k

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
3,414
0
20,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Hi , I'am about to migrate from WinNT 4.0 to another new server (seperate
computer)
with Win2000. What is the best and safest approach to do this? Is there a
way to move automaticaly all users and settings from old server? Or maybe I
could join this new server to old one? I need both computers still running
in the same domain.
thanks for advice
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Easiest way would be to remove Win 2k from the new server and install NT 4.0
on it as a BDC while connected to your existing domain. Your users and
domain info will transfer over automatically.
Since you MUST upgrade the NT 4.0 PDC first when upgrading the domain,
promote the new BDC to PDC (original PDC demoted to BDC) and upgrade to Win
2k. Doing it this way you are creating a mixed mode Win 2k domain which will
allow your old PDC (now BDC) to work properly with Win 2k.

FYI
You should read up on Win 2k's DNS it is set up differently than NT 4.0's
DNS. If you try setting up Win 2k's DNS like you set up NT 4.0 your AD will
not work properly. You MUST have DNS set up and working properly for AD to
work.
See:
How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675





and

How To: Upgrade Windows NT Server 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107

HOW TO: Promote and Demote Domain Controllers in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238369





hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE



"Bob" <kc2ine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uAlOLANLEHA.892@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi , I'am about to migrate from WinNT 4.0 to another new server (seperate
> computer)
> with Win2000. What is the best and safest approach to do this? Is there a
> way to move automaticaly all users and settings from old server? Or maybe
I
> could join this new server to old one? I need both computers still running
> in the same domain.
> thanks for advice
>
>
>
 

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
3,414
0
20,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Thanks, looks like a lot of reading :)
Is this much bigger problem to make the Win2k machine BDC without installing
WinNT on it? and migrate users using some utility?


"Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
news:#ThZKgTLEHA.2244@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Easiest way would be to remove Win 2k from the new server and install NT
4.0
> on it as a BDC while connected to your existing domain. Your users and
> domain info will transfer over automatically.
> Since you MUST upgrade the NT 4.0 PDC first when upgrading the domain,
> promote the new BDC to PDC (original PDC demoted to BDC) and upgrade to
Win
> 2k. Doing it this way you are creating a mixed mode Win 2k domain which
will
> allow your old PDC (now BDC) to work properly with Win 2k.
>
> FYI
> You should read up on Win 2k's DNS it is set up differently than NT 4.0's
> DNS. If you try setting up Win 2k's DNS like you set up NT 4.0 your AD
will
> not work properly. You MUST have DNS set up and working properly for AD to
> work.
> See:
> How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
>
> Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
>
>
>
>
>
> and
>
> How To: Upgrade Windows NT Server 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107
>
> HOW TO: Promote and Demote Domain Controllers in Windows 2000
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238369
>
>
>
>
>
> hth
>
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
>
>
> "Bob" <kc2ine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:uAlOLANLEHA.892@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Hi , I'am about to migrate from WinNT 4.0 to another new server
(seperate
> > computer)
> > with Win2000. What is the best and safest approach to do this? Is there
a
> > way to move automaticaly all users and settings from old server? Or
maybe
> I
> > could join this new server to old one? I need both computers still
running
> > in the same domain.
> > thanks for advice
> >
> >
> >
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

> Is this much bigger problem to make the Win2k machine BDC without
installing
> WinNT on it?

Win 2k can not be a BDC the option does not exist.

>and migrate users using some utility?

To migrate to Win 2k using a utility (ADMT) would involve setting up a Win
2k domain "side by side" on the same wire as the NT domain. You would have
to create a trust between the two domains, which you can't do if they have
the same name.
You would have to set the Win 2k domain in Native mode, which, when in
native mode Win 2k does not replicate with NT 4.0 BDCs.

In your original post you stated "I need both computers still running in the
same domain."

There is *no* *possible* way to have a Win NT 4.0 PDC and a Win 2k DC in the
*same* domain.
You *can* have a Win 2k DC and a NT 4.0 BDC in the same domain as long as
the Win 2k domain is in mixed mode.

My original suggestion will leave you with a Win 2k mixed mode domain with
you NT 4.0 BDC in the same domain like you wanted.


The only other way would be to upgrade your existing NT 4.0 PDC to Win 2k
and AD then add the new Win 2k server to the new upgraded Win 2k domain.


hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Bob" <kc2ine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eSoA82eLEHA.1156@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thanks, looks like a lot of reading :)
> Is this much bigger problem to make the Win2k machine BDC without
installing
> WinNT on it? and migrate users using some utility?
>
>
> "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
> news:#ThZKgTLEHA.2244@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Easiest way would be to remove Win 2k from the new server and install NT
> 4.0
> > on it as a BDC while connected to your existing domain. Your users and
> > domain info will transfer over automatically.
> > Since you MUST upgrade the NT 4.0 PDC first when upgrading the domain,
> > promote the new BDC to PDC (original PDC demoted to BDC) and upgrade to
> Win
> > 2k. Doing it this way you are creating a mixed mode Win 2k domain which
> will
> > allow your old PDC (now BDC) to work properly with Win 2k.
> >
> > FYI
> > You should read up on Win 2k's DNS it is set up differently than NT
4.0's
> > DNS. If you try setting up Win 2k's DNS like you set up NT 4.0 your AD
> will
> > not work properly. You MUST have DNS set up and working properly for AD
to
> > work.
> > See:
> > How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
> >
> > Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > and
> >
> > How To: Upgrade Windows NT Server 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107
> >
> > HOW TO: Promote and Demote Domain Controllers in Windows 2000
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238369
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > hth
> >
> > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
> >
> >
> >
> > "Bob" <kc2ine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:uAlOLANLEHA.892@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > Hi , I'am about to migrate from WinNT 4.0 to another new server
> (seperate
> > > computer)
> > > with Win2000. What is the best and safest approach to do this? Is
there
> a
> > > way to move automaticaly all users and settings from old server? Or
> maybe
> > I
> > > could join this new server to old one? I need both computers still
> running
> > > in the same domain.
> > > thanks for advice
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>