Question Migration from Windows 8.1

fanatiqq

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
Hello, I've been using the same setup for almost 5 years now (i5 haswell 3.3ghz, 16gb ddr3 1600mhz, gigabyte h97-d3h rev 1.0) with windows 8.1 because it was stable and caused me no issues all these years. But now I'd want to upgrade to Windows 10. Actually, I'm writing this post from Windows 10.
I was using a Sata3 Seagate 126GB SSD for my win 8.1 OS and a few days ago bought a Samsung PM981 Nvme on which I installed Win10. I wanted a fresh install, but still wonder the following:
  1. Should I have used the "Upgrade" option in the Windows install menu and keep all my settings and stuff which would be upgraded to win10? How does it work exactly? Will it delete anything? Plus there's the thing that the Seagate is Sata
  2. If I reinstall my software, import bookmarks, etc and start fresh on the Samsung, beside the App Data folder, is there something crucial in the windows folder that I should keep or can I delete it (or format after I backup the data i need from it)?
I want the OS and some games on the NVMe because most depend on a lot of loading screens (Borderlands 2, WoW, etc) and I grew tired after all this time of waiting for those to load. Also my m.2 slot on the motherboard is just pcie 2.0 x2, but I plan on buying an adapter and install the Samsung separately so it will run at full speed.
Edit: I don't have money nor want to basically change my pc by buying a newer motherboard which supports m.2 pcie 3.0 x4 because that would also mean new CPU and RAM
All on topic answers greatly appreciated

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm a little confused. You say you want a clean install
Hello, I've been using the same setup for almost 5 years now (i5 haswell 3.3ghz, 16gb ddr3 1600mhz, gigabyte h97-d3h rev 1.0) with windows 8.1 because it was stable and caused me no issues all these years. But now I'd want to upgrade to Windows 10. Actually, I'm writing this post from Windows 10.
I was using a Sata3 Seagate 126GB SSD for my win 8.1 OS and a few days ago bought a Samsung PM981 Nvme on which I installed Win10. I wanted a fresh install, but still wonder the following:
  1. Should I have used the "Upgrade" option in the Windows install menu and keep all my settings and stuff which would be upgraded to win10? How does it work exactly? Will it delete anything? Plus there's the thing that the Seagate is Sata
  2. If I reinstall my software, import bookmarks, etc and start fresh on the Samsung, beside the App Data folder, is there something crucial in the windows folder that I should keep or can I delete it (or format after I backup the data i need from it)?
I want the OS and some games on the NVMe because most depend on a lot of loading screens (Borderlands 2, WoW, etc) and I grew tired after all this time of waiting for those to load. Also my m.2 slot on the motherboard is just pcie 2.0 x2, but I plan on buying an adapter and install the Samsung separately so it will run at full speed.
Edit: I don't have money nor want to basically change my pc by buying a newer motherboard which supports m.2 pcie 3.0 x4 because that would also mean new CPU and RAM
All on topic answers greatly appreciated
I'm a little confused. You say you wanted a clean install, then you say already installed W10 on the NVME. Does the SATA still have the old W8.1 installation? If so, you have 2 licenses in use on the same motherboard. You could have just done a free upgrade while using the SATA, then done the clone to the NVME. That way you'd have had all your old stuff in tact and a fresh install of W10. All for free.