Migration of OS

May 17, 2014
Hey,
I just bought a gaming laptop and as soon as I brought it back home, I noticed that the OS was installed on the SSD and not on the HDD, which I found it weird. Anyways, I found out an software that could migrate it back on the HDD but I'm concerned about my games' saves. Will have any impact? All the games have its saves on the 'Documents' directory and not on the any other directory. Please let me know if I would lose my save game data on migrating the OS.

Thanks.

Solution
Of course the OS is installed on the SSD, that's the whole point of having an SSD installed - - much faster boot time compared to HDD.
I can't imagine why you think that's weird.

You can use the HDD for game and software installs, and for pictures & videos so that the smaller capacity SSD will not get filled up quickly.

Don't migrate your OS to the HDD, that would not be a good thing to do.

You can put future game saves on the HDD in future if you want to, but don't move existing ones.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
It is normal to have the SSD as your main boot drive.
The OS load time is greatly reduced.

You would only use your HDD for bulk data or things that you want to archive.

Yes you could clone the ssd on to the hdd and change boot order. It would all work, but what is teh point of having an SSD in the first place.

Of course the OS is installed on the SSD, that's the whole point of having an SSD installed - - much faster boot time compared to HDD.
I can't imagine why you think that's weird.

You can use the HDD for game and software installs, and for pictures & videos so that the smaller capacity SSD will not get filled up quickly.

Don't migrate your OS to the HDD, that would not be a good thing to do.

You can put future game saves on the HDD in future if you want to, but don't move existing ones.

Solution
May 17, 2014

Oh is that so?! I always thought that SSD is for gaming and stuff. Anyways thanks for the help

May 17, 2014

Yeah it all makes sense now, thanks for the replies and help!