Question Mild shock from case and PSU of my first build. What could be the reason?

Mar 13, 2021
3
2
15
0
After my first build, My PC case gives me a mild shock when I touch. I tried using a UPS, plugging the PC to a different wall socket and, taking the PSU out of the case, but nothing seemed to resolve the issue. I have noticed that touching the MoBo also gives me the shock. So what could be the reason for this? What are some ways to find out which part is making this issue and how to resolve it?

Also, is it safe to keep the PC turned while this happen? Will it damage the motherboard or any other parts if I continue to work with this PC without fixing this issue?
 

Adam0ne

Great
Feb 9, 2021
108
20
95
2

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
136
2
10,715
13
If you're getting shocked while it's plugged in (and NOT static) you've got an unshielded power connector touching something it really shouldn't be.
To be blunt, if that IS what's going on, you should deal with it immediately. Because you don't know what is causing it specifically, you can't be sure it's not potentially a fire hazard. Replace the PSU first and see if that solves the issue (if it's modular, you can see about switching out the cables, too). If not, you'll have to check your mobo.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS