Milk in power button of PC, won't turn on

Jul 7, 2018
Well I have a custom pc with the power button on the top of the case in the front and my toddler spit milk into the power button and my PC no longer turns on. I am thinking I might need a new power supply or just the button and cords as there is nothing below it and doesn't look like it got into anything else. Wondering if someone would know more?

Solution
the power button is just a momentary switch and can be replaced with any momentary switch.
I use a magnetic reed switch (from an alarm system) to turn on my pc with a fridge magnet.
first a few words about safety
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

now that you are grounded you can unplug the two power wires on the motherboards front...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the power button is just a momentary switch and can be replaced with any momentary switch.
I use a magnetic reed switch (from an alarm system) to turn on my pc with a fridge magnet.
first a few words about safety
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

now that you are grounded you can unplug the two power wires on the motherboards front panel, see step 18 for a clear image of a typical front panel connector
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
the two pins on the motherboard that the power switch connects to are the power pins. short the pins with a conductor, screwdriver, key, anything metal, just touch then with the conductor for a moment, and remove. the computer should start.
if the PC starts by manually shorting the pins the switch needs replacement and the rest of the system should be fine

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Agree with R_1.

Just to add help:
That switch is a very simply momentary-contact device that closes the contacts when it is pushed, then opens again as soon as you release. The most common switch like this you will see is a doorbell pushbutton. There are also lots of this type available in electronics shops. Any of them could be mounted wherever is handy in your case, and then just move the leads from the old switch to the new one. Polarity does not matter.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Pull the side of the case off. Most modern motherboards will have some kind of led somewhere on the board showing power. If yours has one and it's on (green or orange usually) then your PSU is not dead.

More than likely your switch was damaged. Dried milk makes a poor electrical contact.

Your power switch plugs into two pins on the motherboard. If you make brief contact between the two pins (like using a screwdriver) it should power on the pc.