News Millions of Qubits, Billions of Dollars: A Scientific Breakthrough and a Promising Market for Quantum

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Any time you see the word "breakthrough" in relation to Quantum computing you should realize that this isn't any sort of useful technical information at all--it's simply the junk Quantum Computer companies have been putting out every so often since the first day of their incorporation, the main purpose of which is to secure investment funding. Keeping the money flowing is what it's all about. And that's about it, I'm afraid. It's a good thing that progress in classical computing doesn't mirror the mirage of Quantum computing so far--else we'd still be using pocket calculators instead of desktops...;) (But I don't think QCs are even up to doing simple math--unless they cheat and throw classical processors into the mix!)

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Any time you see the word "breakthrough" in relation to Quantum computing you should realize that this isn't any sort of useful technical information at all--it's simply the junk Quantum Computer companies have been putting out every so often since the first day of their incorporation, the main purpose of which is to secure investment funding.
This information, however, is being released by academia -- the UNSW -- and not a company looking for money.

I don't think QCs are even up to doing simple math--unless they cheat and throw classical processors into the mix!)
Incorrect, of course. Any classical gate can be implemented as a reversible quantum gate. However, performing basic math with quantum gates is significantly more cumbersome than using ordinary classical gates ...they're different tools, meant for entirely different applications. Are screwdrivers useless because they can't hammer nails?

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I would imagine we'll know when the first quantum processor actually comes online - as the 1st thing that will happen with it is whomever has created it will use it to insta-hash out the rest of the world's cryptocurrencies. Then it will get sold to the US government for use in NSA equipment. Then we'll actually see one about five years later.

I don't even know why they're trying to race into the multi-bit over trying to make a standard for Qbit instead at a fixed length to allow massification and progression of the tech in the industry.

Having over 20 bits in a quantum status with over 99% certainty would be great to have and actually do some progress over having a bazillion bits with about 50%. This is a massive oversimplification of the issue, but the core idea is there. I wish some Company realizes this soon and tries to work towards adoption in the regular computing market.

Regards.