Question Min processor state

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
HI i was just reading about min processor state here https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ryzen-5-3600x-cpu-fan-throttling.3503457/
My temps seem to fluctuate up and down 5 degrees during gaming, as my CPU and case fans are set to CPU temp , every time this happen ( nearly constantly)
it gets a bit annoying to listen to.
I just checked and under ryzen balanced plan my Min is at 0%.
Should i raise it to 85% as explained here?

"As a temporary workaround, you can use the standard Windows Balanced plan. Edit this plan to use 85% minimum processor state, 100% maximum processor state. (Example). This will chill things out as we continue to work this issue. Your 1T and nT scores shouldn't change at all (+/- the usual run-to-run variance). This will preserve boost, retain cc6 core sleeping, preserve idle downclocking/downvolting, but make the CPU more relaxed about boosting under light loads."

Or is this for something different ?
Also can i do this in ryzen balanced not windows balanced?
And does this mean at idle my processor will still be running at 85% so temps will be high at idle?

Thanks Mark

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I use the Ryzen Balanced plan and set my minimum to 10% and Maximum to 100%.
View: https://imgur.com/hVbyZ60

That allows my CPU to clock down to 1.55 GHz when Idle and up to 4 GHz when needed (my OC speed).

I only have my CPU Cooler set to change with CPU temps though.
My case fans all change with my PCH temperature which does Not change as much or as quickly.

If you set it to 85% it will not down clock as much when Idle sop your idle temps will be higher.

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Thanks for the reply , i might have a look at setting the case fans to the PCH as i think the 4 case fans are the noisy ones, and also will set the Min processor tp 10% ,

Thanks Mark

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
I was just looking in my MSI bios.
Up the top left in hardware monitor and under temp i have .
CPU, System, Mos , Chipset, PCI-e and M.21

Then under that i have temp source with options CPU, System, Mos, Chipset

I imagine the top ones are for selecting where the temp reading is coming from?
Are the bottom ones where i would change what i want to change from where e.g, sys fan speed changing off system .
Is this correct?
If i change the very top ones this seems to be global.
So under temp source i would set CPU to CPU and Sys fans to system?
I could not find PCH.
Thanks Mark

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Also i just change from ryzen balanced power to windows power balnced , even tough there are fluctuations , overall at idele is 10C cooler.
I noticed also my min processor in windows is 100%, do i change this to 10% the same as ryzen balanced?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I was just looking in my MSI bios.
Up the top left in hardware monitor and under temp i have .
CPU, System, Mos , Chipset, PCI-e and M.21

Then under that i have temp source with options CPU, System, Mos, Chipset

I imagine the top ones are for selecting where the temp reading is coming from?
Are the bottom ones where i would change what i want to change from where e.g, sys fan speed changing off system .
Is this correct?
If i change the very top ones this seems to be global.
So under temp source i would set CPU to CPU and Sys fans to system?
I could not find PCH.
Thanks Mark
PCH on my board = Chipset on yours.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
My ROG Srix B450-F motherboard doesn't have a chipset fan.
My PCH temps rise slowly from idle of about 39C - 40C to a max of about 46C.
I think you should still try linking your case fan profile to your chipset and see how you like it.
Then you can play with the fan curve until you get it like yo uwant so it isn't too loud but still keeps your CPU/chipset/motherboard/VRM (MOS) cool.

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi, just another question, i think its my cpu fan being noisy , and ive just got my temps to where i want them.
I have the wraith prism switch on the H setting, i imagine if i put it on L it will change the speed?
Thanks Mark

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
I just changed it to low and it dropped speed by about 500 rpm and temps went up from , avg 60 to 63.4 in game.
So i guess that's not to bad, could i turn my fans up 400-500 rpm?
The noise that was bothering me only happened once the rpm went up past 3050 ( a high pitched whine that went away once it dropped down rpm) , its now 2454.
So even if i turn it up 400 rpm that might make it cooler and not whine?
Or i could just flick the switch back up to high and put up with the noise i guess.