[SOLVED] Mind boggling PSU issue

Feb 18, 2020
Hey everyone. So im totally stumped at this one -

One day all of a sudden my PC started having this issue where it would start for a few seconds then go off. Sometimes it boots all the way to windows login screen and then shuts down. So i figured it was a PSU problem. Took it to a very good PC shop to ask them to test it out and lo and behold the thing works fine. So i went back home and BAM same problem. So then i figured it must be an issue with my power socket on the wall so i tried it in various power sockets in the house and it still didnt work. My other PC is working just fine with all the power sockets. So i take the PC to a different technician and same thing! At their shop the PC starts up completely fine! so afterwards just to test it out differently i take the PC to my friends place to start it up there thinking it was a power issue in my house specifically, but the PC didnt start up at his place either!

Can anyone explain this? How is it possible that the PC worked fine at both technicians and doesnt work at home?

I took my own cables with me and they used the same cables so i know it isnt that... I also asked them very clearly if they were running my PC from a UPS or anything of the sort and they both said they ran it from a normal plug.

Im baffled by this one... its gotta be my PSU not getting enough power somehow right? Its about 5 years old.

Is it safe to just buy a new PSU and get it done with?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Solution
This is where I would start. And yes age wise your due for a new power supply.

Unplug computer from wall now hold down the power button 20 seconds. This is to drain left over power in your caps.

Open computer and look for dust, but honestly I feel you have already.

Now one more place to get the dust out of is inside of the power supply.

This involves removing power supply out of PC. If you don't feel your up to it than just skip the rest.

It takes 4-6 screws to remove the lid.....................KEEP YOU FINGERS OFF CAPS...................

use a soft brush, paint brush or old unused makeup brush works great. All you want to do with the brush is to just loosen hair and dust at this point. Don't try to sweep it out just loosen...
This is where I would start. And yes age wise your due for a new power supply.

Unplug computer from wall now hold down the power button 20 seconds. This is to drain left over power in your caps.

Open computer and look for dust, but honestly I feel you have already.

Now one more place to get the dust out of is inside of the power supply.

This involves removing power supply out of PC. If you don't feel your up to it than just skip the rest.

It takes 4-6 screws to remove the lid.....................KEEP YOU FINGERS OFF CAPS...................

use a soft brush, paint brush or old unused makeup brush works great. All you want to do with the brush is to just loosen hair and dust at this point. Don't try to sweep it out just loosen. Now hold the fan to not spin and use a blow dryer to puff out all the dust. Put computer back together and lets see where you are at that point. Good luck

Reactions: ssahilb
Solution

TRENDING THREADS