MindMaze’s Mask Tech Brings Your Real Emotions, Expressions Into Virtual Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
If this sort of functionality could be integrated into camera-based tracking solutions (i.e. as a software-only enhancement), like that of Oculus and PSVR, then I think it has a future. Otherwise, it seems like the benefit is too small to justify additional hardware cost.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

This technology relies on direct contact sensors, so I doubt it could be a software-only upgrade. But I disagree with your assessment. The upgrade wouldn't be very expensive to add to any HMD, and MindMaze is looking for partnerships with HMD designers so the sensors could be part of the design of future headsets.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I had in mind something with a similar effect, based on watching users' mouths. I realize you wouldn't get as much expressiveness.

$10/HMD is a lot, in a rapidly commoditizing market.

The question really is whether this is a must-have feature. If not, I think it'll be hard to justify. Especially if only a few people have it.

The main thing that could sell it is if VR-based teleconferencing catches on and you need some tech like this to get decent mouth movement. I can see the benefits of having quality mouth movements and facial expressions, if you're spending lots of time talking to people in VR.

BTW, one thing I wonder about is how clean one must keep the sensors. Do they need any type of gel? That'd be a deal-breaker, for most people.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Telepresense will likely become a big part of most people's every day live's in the coming years, so I would say that, yes, facial expressions are a big deal in VR. $10 per HMD as a prototype doesn't sound like a lot to me. As with anything, prices come down over time. By the time this tech is ubiquitous the costs will be much lower.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Okay, but I hope you have a chance to ask about sensor maintenance. And maybe ask about whether any are positioned where facial hair might be an issue. For some, I wonder if cosmetics would be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS