Question Minecraft bluescreening on launch

Apr 30, 2022
Every time I launch Minecraft I bluescreen. I click the "play" button from the launcher, then the little window pops up with the red Mojang and the white progress bar, sometimes it'll bluescreen my computer right before the white bar fully loads, other times i'll be able to boot into the main menu of Minecraft (where it shows single player and multiplayer etc) then It'll stay for a couple seconds (3 at max) then itll bluescreen. The BSOD error codes vary most of the time, could be a watchdog, or irql page not handled or a system exception. Maybe others I just can't remember. I've tried reinstalling the launcher from minecraft.net and also from the Microsoft store. I've move the installation from one drive to another (to an M.2 SSD). I've updated my drivers and windows, ive reinstalled Java and told minecraft to run a specific version of java rather than their bundled one. Nothing is working.

Specs:
i9-10900k - OC @5.0GHz
3080 FE
32G Ram
Z490-E Gaming Mobo

I just installed Minecraft on my second pc (used for streaming and recording) Minecraft runs perfectly on that pc.

Something else I just now discovered, I can run RLCraft just fine, using curseforge. Loads up, no crashing and or lagging. Perfectly fine and normal.

I also ran a memtest and after 5ish hours and 4 passes I found zero issues with my RAM.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022
Have you tried going in to minecraft folder, find exe file, right click on it, click on properties, go to compatibility tab, go to run as adminstrator, hit apply, then go to desktop or start location and see if it works?
Just tried that, seemed to make the game bluescreen my computer quicker. This time I couldn't even get into the little window with Mojang and the white progress bar on it. Just clicked play then a second or two after I bluescreened.

Apr 30, 2022
This is stupid, I just did a fresh install of windows using the windows media creation tool. Wiped all drives and repartitioned etc... My best guess is that somewhere in the updates is causing the issue, because when I reset my PC as I was downloading chrome and other programs I usually use, I downloaded minecraft to see if it worked (my reset). It did it booted up logged in everything was fine, sat at the main menu for a while just to make sure, then logged off. Continued setting up my PC, installed all windows updates, driver updates etc... Then I booted minecraft up again, just to again get a bluescreen.

Apr 30, 2022
So what files/programs were downloaded/installed after you got Minecraft to load successfully? Do you use a virus software other than windows?
I think I fixed it, but I don't know why it's fixed. Well I do but I don't. So I reset again, thinking maybe it was a windows update issue since I keep/still have the "your missing important updates" in the update section of windows settings. So i've installed 'one thing at a time and launched Minecraft to see if it runs. So far all updates have been installed and drivers have been installed, with Minecraft working. The only variable that has changed so far is that I cleared my BIOS settings, hoping that for some reason something in there was the cause. After I did that it started to work, which got me to think that maybe my OC on my cpu was the issue, since I noticed when launching Minecraft after the launcher my cpu would hit 100%. Decided to let my PC run a normal boosted variable OC and it ran just fine. That's when I began to think that It was my OC, so I went back into my BIOS and tried to get a better OC (5.0GHz with better voltage) I used cinbench for a couple hours and none of the new OC could stick, so I said what the heck and went back to my old OC (5.0 GHz at 1.350v) loaded up Minecraft and it's fine. Like I said before windows updates are installed (besides the ones that arn't showing up because of my issue with the whole "your missing important updates") and graphics drivers are also installed. My next best theory is it's my RAM, I've yet to turn my XMP profile back on. But i'm just slowly installing something then launching minecraft twice each time to make sure that new program wasn't the issue. I'll leave the RAM for last because if thats the issue, well then i'll be stumped because I ran a MemTest yesterday for about 3 ish hours, and had zero errors. Guess i'll check back in later, wish me luck.

Apr 30, 2022
Looks I fixed it. Haven't had an issue since my last response. RAM is on XMP profile 2 and ive downloaded everything that i need to. I dont really know why its working but im happy nonetheless.