Minecraft 'Friend can't connect to my server'

Sh4rpFX

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
Hi, last few days we decided to make a Minecraft server with mods. We run the server on my machine, but the only person who can join is me. When my friends try to join they see; 'Can't connect to the server'. Does anybody knows how to solve that problem? Fast response, please!

Solution
You can also do it via Hamachi however that limits who can join. Simply install Hamachi, create a network, tell your friends to get in said network, then use your Hamachi "IP address" as the server IP address in the server config file. Then your friends just need to connect to that IP address in Minecraft.

DCrypted

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
You have to forward ports in your router to allow anyone on an outside connection to connect to your server. You will need to port forward port 25565 to the internal IP address of your server in your router. If you need help port forwarding visit portforward.com

DCrypted

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Get on the server and type Windows Key + R. Then type 'cmd' and hit enter. That should pull up the command prompt. Once thats up type 'ipconfig' then hit enter. That will pull up the local ip address for your mincraft server so that you can forward the ports accordingly. Once again there are walk throughs on portforward.com that will help you.

Anarkie13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
Double check all versions of Java as well. I found yesterday on my kids machines that one had 32-bit java and he was having problems connecting where the other 2 had no issues. Updated him to 64-bit and no issues since.

You can also do it via Hamachi however that limits who can join. Simply install Hamachi, create a network, tell your friends to get in said network, then use your Hamachi "IP address" as the server IP address in the server config file. Then your friends just need to connect to that IP address in Minecraft.

Solution

Sh4rpFX

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

Will Evolve (not the game) work as well as Hamachi?