Minecraft In VR: A Dizzying Experience:

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Nevermind VR. I get dizzy in Minecraft just playing on PC. I get used to it as I play longer, but usually no longer than 2 hours. Something about the game I guess.

Remember the HL2 dizziness issue few years ago?

8R_Scotch

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
I hear the nausea issue is much less pronounced for the Vive.
In Minecraft or in general?

Seems obvious that the principal factor is movement by controller, instead of some analog of walking or some way of detaching your movement from your body like a platform, cockpit or vehicle.

Speed of movement is also an issue and acceleration moreso, your body doesn't move like FPS or Minecraft, when you walk you accelerate a bit before moving, then decelerate before stopping... the instant stops and moves don't accompany the expected G forces that your body expects. There's also the issue of lateral and backwards speed not being equal, but I believe that's secondary.

Why on earth there would be a way to move your view other than moving your head and turning is beyond me, that's more or less guaranteed to cause nausea, like in first-person games that take over the camera all of a sudden.

What's odd is that these things have been pointed out/discovered by Occulus itself, they mostly apply to FPS, but first-person whacker/miners are obviously just as bad. Shouldn't be a surprise for them, and I was kind of impressed that they announced Minecraft as a launch title for the Rift.

It's not that easy an issue to fix, you'd need to overhaul movement, speed and acceleration in the game, which requires you overhaul and rebalance enemies and maybe distances. That'd take creating an alternate version of Minecraft, so not that simple to resolve.

And I agree with DavidC1, I also get dizzy on desktop Minecraft, just try making a spiral staircase to your underground mine/tunnels and going up them fast, with the walls/steps hitting you on the face constantly as you jump. Imagine that on VR...

8R_Scotch

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Ugh, just watched the video. There's other stuff, like the fact that you jump when hit, carts bolt and deadstop all of a sudden and the fact that you have to point with your head to do anything, from placing torches to pressing buttons to mining blocks. This is a VERY agile and frenetic game and the "oculus edition" doesn't seem to alter any of that... good luck making this playable nausea free...

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I played minecraft a lot on the DK2. It actually has the most immersive feeling of any VR app I have. (The OVR version going way back is called MineCrift). When the zombies are breaking the door down the feeling is 100x more than just playing it on my monitor. None of us experienced nausea, though **special note: The sheer number of settings this version lets you change (fov, refresh rate and much more make a big difference, the version I had claimed to optimized for the dk2) so I don't know if the reviewer messed with any of the settings to his liking. Going down in a deep cave is freakishly cool or swimming. We built a train two travel between two houses and the experience is epic on the DK2. I ordered both the CV1 and the Vive - can't wait to try them both.

MeeLee

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2014
I even got dizzy playing Terminal Velocity on my pc in 1995, due to sprites, however the first 3d polygon games gave me the same nausea as the earlier sprite games.

It gets better over time.
And once you are over the motion sickness, that's when game addiction sets in.

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Good. I'd probably puke and shit all over myself, because Minecraft is actually a thing in 2016... may as well throw Pokemon and Lisa Frank into the mix :thumbsdown: :)

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I cannot play Minecraft on a computer screen as it makes me nauseous and gives me headaches. The same with any low es blocky environment. Too bad, I enjoyed the game while I was fighting off its effects on me.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

It isn't just due to low resolution. Half Life 2 when released was especially bad. It was on the game news sites! Even my friends that were much less sensitive than me got nausea too.

Quake 3: Nope
Tribes 1/2: Yep
Half Life 2: Pretty bad
Minecraft: Pretty bad

With particularly bad cases like Minecraft I never got over the feeling. It felt like a refreshment to play games that I didn't feel nausea, like first Starcraft, or Warcraft 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.