News Minecraft players outraged as Microsoft deletes accounts that weren't transitioned

D

Deleted member 2731765

Sounds silly and immature to brood now, when you were already given advanced warning and notice about this issue. I don't blame MS here.

But venting out anger like a bunch of kids isn't going to solve this matter, nor get MS's attention either.

That date was declared as the final cutoff date, but many players claim they were not notified.

Okay, let's assume some users were indeed not notified, but unless they have been living under a rock, this notification was already being made public on both MS and Minecraft forums.

The migration was ongoing for years and Microsoft gave more than 12 months’ notice of the looming deadline. So getting no notification, sounds like an excuse to me, IMO.

Microsoft also gave them the offer to keep their games as well, assuming they are willing to migrate their account. What a cluster F drama show !

Last edited by a moderator:

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
It became a live service game a long time ago. Everyone freaked out about having to switch to a Microsoft login a long time ago. Whoever claims to not be notified was living under a rock or was using an invalid email/account. Most mojang account users were hackers and pirates so I understand why Microsoft cut it off. I don’t have much sympathy for the consumer. We got almost two decades of play before things changed. At the end of the day, nobody truly owns a creative work to protect intellectual property creation. You can’t reproduce it for instance and there is a EULA. If you’re truly desperate to play Minecraft in its original offline form, there’s ways same as emulation existing for old console games.

I agree it sucks that every game now has online dependencies when it’s often completely unnecessary. But big IPs use this to protect and monetize their work which is ultimately how people get paid whether its a massive corpo or a small indie dev that does it. Throw other “necessary” evils in too… anti-cheat and DRM, and you have a trifecta of things created for partially removing all the turds in the punch bowl at the expense of everyone else.

panotjk

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
A few terrabytes of SSD or HDD should be enough to keep a list of all player account emails and their password hashes and their sets of licenced game. The storage cost is very small. It would not cost much to keep migration available as long as a person's lifespan.

I have to say yes it was announced and I try to stay up on things but that being said I personally missed the notice.

My son plays it and does have from original to the different spins all the way up to the Microsoft version.

It was a friend that filled in my son about the cut off. So we missed the bullet on that one.

Nintendo did the same thing with there hand held platforms that again my son got a call from his friend on the day of the cutoff and was able to download everything before the servers went down.

I can see both sides :confused:

Dementoss

Great
Oct 14, 2023
do you know how much it costs & the space required to keep a list of accts w/ an eneabled key on a server?

not much.
there was no actual reason MS couldnt of kept the files in a server and have a way for ppl to migrate them at a later date it would effectively cost them nothing.
People had more than plenty of notice and, repeated reminders of the need to migrate...

People need to take responsibility for themselves, not expect others to do it for them.

People need to take responsibility for themselves, not expect others to do it for them.
two way street.

and again it takes nil space/cost to host a verification service that just checks for a valid key connected to a valid email.

A person can easily go 5yrs w/o play a game. I can give you a example of this: I recently went back and played Kingdom of Amalur for the 1st time in 7 yrs.

If they paid for a game many yrs ago, life happened or just wanted a break and got into other games, then say a friend or child started playing and asked em to...they wouldnt be able to & they'd of had zero warning as again if ur not playing something for so long you never even knew of the change to begin with.

they could temporarily disable an acct and provide link to start the account transition if someone tries to use it again w/o issue.

Yes, a person should take responsibility for actions, however a business also has to take responsibility to ensure customer satisfaction.

again in the end it would of cost MS nothing to implement a system to host a email w/ license and if used send link to transition.
Even a newb coder could code & automate that within an hr or so. (and if you have experience likely be a 20min thing tops)

People need to stop accepting that they no longer own what they paid for ESPECIALLY if the change is retroactive to the purchase.

Reactions: merlinq

merlinq

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012
The only thing that pissed me off about the migration was I had a bunch of Alpha Gift Codes bought to support development of the game, about a half dozen of which were still unclaimed, when I migrated, they were not migrated with the account, with no warning of this.
And though I had record of all the codes, they are not valid codes under the new system.
Microsoft customer support, after days, honored one request to give away a code to another account, but it took about two weeks of dealing with customer support, and required me getting access to the friend's account I wanted to gift the game to.
After that, it was basically go * yourself, and thanks for your money.
I should have been given new gift codes for each old code.

Last edited by a moderator:

npyrhone

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
People are totally missing the point when they are saying: "You had ample time to react."

The point is that Microsoft should not be able to decide to delete the accounts. It is a decision they should not be allowed to make. If I buy a TV from Sony, Sony cannot threaten to not allow me to turn my TV on if I don't make a Sony account.

We need some new laws to prevent that kind of stuff. Obviously, the US can never do that, as they are kissing megacorporations' bottom sides. But the European Union has, time and again, showed players like Intel, Microsoft and Tesla, that actually there are limits in how they can treat their customers, and if the US cannot enforce those limits, the EU can.