Minecraft Realms Now Available Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could also, I don't know, run a Minecraft server off a raspberry pi which will be cheaper long run, and you have more control over your server.

13 dollars to run a MC server seems a bit pricey to me considering how little is required, 5 maybe, but what do I know.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Minecraft servers don't tend to run well on a pi, as the memory requirements for the server are pretty big.

From what I've seen it can handle a small handful fairly well, but yea I doubt it will handle 8+ on a large map to well. Looks like you can get servers hosted elsewhere for less than 5 bucks too.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Insane ripoff.

For $5 per month you can sign up for any number of VPS's and simply run the minecraft server application on that. Performance is extremely good for around 20-30 people at the same time on the cheapest plans.
Why would someone spend $13 a month for a server that only allows 10 simultaneous players?

A friend of mine uses a $10 per month VPS for feed the beast (50 person) and a 32 person teamspeak server at the same time.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Is this $13 for the server or $13/month for each player? I'd imagine that it the server hosting fee which is a bit high though not terrible. If it's per player then that is atrocious.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
Its $13 for the server per month. I think the main thing here is reliabilty; the server should always be up, and the fact that it is run by mojang, so support should be high.

Status
Not open for further replies.