Minecraft RTX GPUs Benchmarked: Which Runs It Best in 2023?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
I remember how raytracing was heralded on Tomshardware, and its affiliate site PCGamer, as a revolution in real-time graphics.

And here we are, raytracing...Minecraft..., that most turn off because it looks unrealistic.

But we have reflective puddles though...not because mirror-like puddles look realistic...not because you couldn't do this without raytracing...but because Nvidia paid developers to put them everywhere🤦

Is RT prime time?
Probably not. And I doubt it ever will be in our lifetimes.

But you need to look at it this way:. Do you know the first implementation of tesselation was on the ATi 9800. It was Serious Sam 2.

So you know how long it took tesselation to be mainstream?

But the thing is, that tessellation, even selectively applied did enhance the game substantially.

Same with RT. For example Hogwart's floor reflections from the windows and soft shadows are just a thing of beauty.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Same with RT. For example Hogwart's floor reflections from the windows and soft shadows are just a thing of beauty.

I much prefer the more defined rasterized shadows, the soft RTX raytraced shadows lack character imo.

And it's not like you need raytracing to do a penumbra, there are plenty of algorithms to soften shadow edges without resorting to raytracing that tanks FPS. Softening shadows just takes away character.

fddgdg.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RTX also causes unrealistically saturated colors and light bleeding that reminds me of the horrible bloom effect.

FGDGDGDG.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RTX also causes lighting bugs. Developers have confirmed these are not "special effects" but RTX rendering errors.

Minecraft RTX has plenty of these rendering problems too, it's likely linked to the fact that there is a raytrace bounce cutoff to maintain performance, and these incomplete renders result in very weird lighting bugs.

dfgdfgdggggg.jpg

Last edited:

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Really nice article! As a 2060 owner, I'm unsatisfied with the performance in RTX Minecraft at 1440p, even with DLSS.
I'm currently saving up for a new graphics card. Hopefully will be able to afford it in the next month or two. RTX Minecraft is actually a big priority for me, and I'd love to be able to play it at 90FPS (I usually can't tell a difference in framerates higher than that.) It's good to know I can get that level of performance with a 3080 or better. : )

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
I much prefer the more defined rasterized shadows, the soft RTX raytraced shadows lack character imo.

And it's not like you need raytracing to do a penumbra, there are plenty of algorithms to soften shadow edges without resorting to raytracing that tanks FPS. Softening shadows just takes away character.

fddgdg.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RTX also causes unrealistically saturated colors and light bleeding that reminds me of the horrible bloom effect.

FGDGDGDG.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RTX also causes lighting bugs. Developers have confirmed these are not "special effects" but RTX rendering errors.

Minecraft RTX has plenty of these rendering problems too, it's likely linked to the fact that there is a raytrace bounce cutoff to maintain performance, and these incomplete renders result in very weird lighting bugs.

dfgdfgdggggg.jpg

Penumbras with rasterization has limitations which often lead to banding or stepping. And with dynamic objects (ie: npcs and chars) it can to stair stepped jagged edges. You can do more light projections with smaller steps by increasing the recursion limit on the bounding box, but the slowdown in performance is significant.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
Status
Not open for further replies.