Minecraft RTX Performance: You're Going to Need a Beefy GPU

Goes to show how much more is needed before mainstream RTX on high fidelity game in both the software (game dev) side and the hardware (GPU and RTX specific cores) side. Not bashing ray-tracing as a concept, but this just convinces me further that it's not relevant to most consumers for another 2 or 3 years.

You would think a game with such seemingly basic in-game geometry would be a great showcase for new technology like RTX, but in the end I'm more inclined to see all of this as a failed attempt at smearing makeup on a pig. Never having enjoyed Minecraft, or feeling the inclination to play it more than the minimum necessary to work through someone else's technical issues, I find that no matter how realistically you render your duplo blocks, it's just not compelling, and I'm not about to seek out RTX based on this tired old title. This to me is a lot like PhysX. At one point a nice to have, and something I actually spent the extra effort to get working for myself when I could, until that point where NVIDIA decided to forcefully prevent PhysX on all but pure NVIDIA setups, whether I had NVIDIA equipment and wanted to use it or not. When ray tracing is ubiquitously available in all hardware and gives some form of visual uplift in most software titles, I'm game. While ray tracing remains an NVIDIA only gimmick, I'm going to take a hard pass.

Yes, this does prove how weak first generation raytrasing hardware really Are. We have to wait at least two three years Until we have decent quality raytrasing GPUs!
Except DLSS has been implemented from the release of Minecraft RTX, and with it all of the 20-series cards can hit playable levels of performance.

@bigpinkdragon286, I've long since become bored with Minecraft as well, but my two sons (10 and 12) still love it, and nearly every kid their age seems to at least play it periodically (or at least the boys do). 8–15 years old seems to be the prime target. Roblox has probably passed it in terms of what my kids play most, but the elementary school and middle school kids are a big market. And they'll often tell me they want to play "on an RTX PC!" because they like the enhanced graphics. Of course, a lot of kids are probably playing it on Switch rather than a PC these days.