Valicious_

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16619377
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 (MS-7B84)
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 2666 C15 2x8GB
SSD/HDD: WD Green 240GB SSD , WD Green 2TB HDD
GPU: Vega 11, igpu (currently on 19.4.3)
PSU: Super Flower Bronze FX 450W 80 Plus Bronze

Everything works as what is expected from these specs, both games and other software, but Minecraft seems to be the odd one out.

In reference to 1.14 (this was also a problem in 1.12 and 1.13) i get 30 to 120 fps the whole time. It's stuttering most of the time and more often than not I get these lag spikes where the frames just says no. Chunk loading speed is abysmal and chunk glitches happen too often(this is probably just a Minecraft thing...).
(Vanilla Minecraft video: fancy, 16 chunks, smoothing lighting maximum, clouds fancy, particles all, mimap 4, biome blend 5x5
Test was done in a jungle biome, not in spawn chunks. sufficient time was given for chunk loading.)

Modded has become slightly better, since i got this rig end last year, but it still dies: starting with a good ~50fps chilling around there and then 5 to 30min in it dips to ~0 and never recovers.

I have allocated anywhere between 1G to 16G of ram where more ram just takes the stuttering to a new level. rip gc. I have tried overclocking by bumping up the multiplier but with little effect. There is a lot of things that i have tried over the course of 5-6 months but to no avail. This is now with both vanilla and modded

So in my desperation i tried the myth that amd64 drivers are optimum on Linux OS. So i got Ubuntu running (had Kubuntu but didn't like it) updated everything that could be updated. I installed Minecraft for Debian and copied the modded stuff, from my twitch files, over. changed the java args and then... well it worked. I was frame locked at 60fps and i used the default Video settings.
This worked for both sky factory 4 and Sevtech(I might have ran a higher render distance for this.)

So in my conclusion the amd drivers for the vega 11 is inefficient for LWJGL on windows with respect to OpenGL.

Now finally my question 😅 Is there some way to fix this so that i can get the same performance on windows as what im getting on Ubuntu?

Valicious_

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
It sounds like a memory leak. Compare your RAM usage in the first few seconds of it running vs when it's unbearable
I first wanted to test this is vanilla: ran with 2G allocated. when i started it was on 2.4G and went up to 2.5G later so that isnt much of a change. using alt+ f3 i can clearly see the the lag spikes. the biggest I spotted (i just stood there) was this View: https://imgur.com/a/6sNDbWJ

running modded on '-Xmx6144m -Xms256m ...'
main menu is on 6.3G. In game i get 8G
The memory useage shown is (~2.7/6G f3 screnn) and now it went down to 7.2G.
Strangely enough it didnt get to an unrecoverable drop again but the stuttering is stall bad

Mandark

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002

Valicious_

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
try this
Hi, I have tried this and it doesnt work. That technique, in theory, should just give you a few extra fps (because you basically turning everything off) and both priority and affinity wont make a difference because im not maxing out my cpu (not that you can max out your cpu with minecraft since most of the game's core run on a single thread).
Also i did mention i can run it perfectly on a different operating system, using different drivers, So to make minecraft run easier and give it higher priority doesnt fix the problem.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS