Question Minecraft won't go past 30 FPS

May 8, 2020
I recently got a new laptop the other day, and when I play minecraft, my frames won't go past 30 FPS (even though my system can handle if fine). I've already checked, and minecraft is using my dedicated GPU. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

System Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i7-9750H
RAM: 16 GB of 2666 speed
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Display: 3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz (4K Resolution)

Also, my gpu runs about 30% when running minecraft.

Last edited:
I don't play this game, but there should be an option for vsync with triple- or double- something, or without, or something such, that you should turn off, or change. More likely from game options, less likely from NVIDIA Control Panel.

If the above is not apparent, try changing resolution to 1080 p instead of 4k.

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished
I recently got a new laptop the other day, and when I play minecraft, my frames won't go past 30 FPS (even though my system can handle if fine). I've already checked, and minecraft is using my dedicated GPU. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

System Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i7-9750H
RAM: 16 GB of 2666 speed
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Display: 3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz (4K Resolution)

Also, my gpu runs about 30% when running minecraft.

Minecraft is a very ram intensive game. By default it uses only 2Gb of ram despite you having more. To fix this go to the minecraft launcher, click installations, click the three dots to the right of your installation, click edit, click more options, then you will see a bunch of text reading... -Xmx2G -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20 -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M

Change the number at the beginning in Xmx2G The 2 or whatever number is there is how much RAM minecraft is allowed to use. Choose any amount you'd like, with 16gb id reccomend 10 for dramatic performance increase. Hope this helps.

May 8, 2020
Minecraft is a very ram intensive game. By default it uses only 2Gb of ram despite you having more. To fix this go to the minecraft launcher, click installations, click the three dots to the right of your installation, click edit, click more options, then you will see a bunch of text reading... -Xmx2G -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20 -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M

Change the number at the beginning in Xmx2G The 2 or whatever number is there is how much RAM minecraft is allowed to use. Choose any amount you'd like, with 16gb id reccomend 10 for dramatic performance increase. Hope this helps.
Yes, I've already done that. I think i put it on like 4 or 6... But now it shows me having 60 FPS, which is what I limited it to, without me changing anything. Do you know anything about that?