Status
Not open for further replies.

Janus5711

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I am looking for information on building a mineral oil-submerged PC. No it will not be my main system. It's honestly cause I think it would be cool to do.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

rdc85

Honorable
Aren't mineral oil is electro conductive? From i read at some article it not so good using oil as heat transfer.

it can heat up quite well but it will need much extra effort too cool it down (remove the heat).

Mineral Oil is NON-CONDUCTIVE.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
We had a science teacher do one similar in the watercooling thread, although it was a bit more elaborate than just oil submersion.

What you are wanting to do is mainly just for fun and won't deliver much in the way of performance. Most people who have done this complain of the mess, the issues with cooling and leaks.

Yes it's possible to do, but don't expect great things from it.

What are you wanting to know, first and foremost?

(moving this to the watercooling forum as it applies there more than most)

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Mineral oil is *interesting*. Just keep in mind that you'll want to stay with a clean look (transparent, default coloring). In essence, there aren't any dye that can dillute in mineral oil (otherwise, it'll look like a lava lamp and although this might look cool at first, the dye might end up in crevaces greatly reducing your water cooling system if not failing it).

Oh, and it's extremely difficult to remove (mineral oil) from your system (if you ever decided to go back to a distilled water type system). Just keep that in mind.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I don't want to try and tell someone not to do something, but they might just need to figure all this out for themselves if they are set on doing it. However, I think that a lot more research and information should be had before setting out to do this.

We have a mineral oil submersion project pop up about once a month or so...enough that I want to create a thread specifically to link them all together when these discussions pop up.

Janus5711

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
As Rubix has mentioned, we should not stop you from experimenting, as this is what people learn from.
However, i personally would not do it...
If i was loaded with cash... then ye sure, why the hell not ;)

I built an Ivy bridge system out of boredom. Try me XD

Honestly I am probably going to take the core components out of the computer I build for my little brother and build a little 2500k system in a fishtank for this project. Its not going to break records or even be OC'd much. I just like the novelty of it.

I'm really just looking for info as to any particular hardware that doesnt work. I know CD drives and regular HDs dont work but I'm probably just going to have a 120gig SSD and thats it.

Just looking for for as many tips and I can get before I take the plunge lol

Janus5711

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

did Dry Ice on my old i7 950 lol

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

the first answer that comes to mind - TDU of mineral oil is FAR less than that of water. Can it be used? Yes. with no ill effects? Yes. Effective as water? Hells no! 2nd - xbox and PS3 waterblocks are already produced.

Now... that being said... I built a system for a friend - for fun not performance - Inside a college dorm type fridge. Sealed unit, laid on it's back, filled with mineral oil, all components submerged in the oil save the DVD-R. The fidge had been stripped prior and reconfigured to allow the cooling coils to contact the oil directly. A single Ehiem submersible 350GpH pump was placed in the enclosure with diverter to simply circulate the fluid. Components were not cooled - the fluid itself was. This was before the mainstream advent of phase change. Was a blast to build, very stable and usuable even on minor OC'ing, PAIN to maintainence and access components. Unless you feel a need to satisfy a geekery quotient (which some modders do :) ) PLEASE don't do this!

Status
Not open for further replies.