[SOLVED] Mini DisplayPort to HDMI to DisplayPort Question

moccor

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
So I am curious if this setup or cables would work and here is why I ask. My monitor ASUS VG248QE only does 120-144Hz over DisplayPort and DVI.

It only does 60Hz HDMI even though it is HDMI 1.4 or w/e, I know this and I know the reasoning.

So my laptop has a mini DisplayPort port and I want to use a mClassic, which is HDMI. And then my monitor would require DisplayPort for the 120-144Hz.

So would a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI to DisplayPort work for achieving the 120-144Hz? Basically I am curious if there are any weird things that happen when going from DisplayPort to HDMI but AFAIK it's all digital so if the cable handles the bandwidth it should be fine?

Solution
So would a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI to DisplayPort work for achieving the 120-144Hz? Basically I am curious if there are any weird things that happen when going from DisplayPort to HDMI but AFAIK it's all digital so if the cable handles the bandwidth it should be fine?
In theory it's not impossible, but it's always a toss-up when chaining multiple adapters, especially when active conversion is needed, which is the case here. It may work, or you may get no signal.

There are no HDMI to DP adapters that support 1080p 144 Hz, but there are a few available that will work up to 1080p 120 Hz.

The DP to HDMI side also has considerations, it...
In theory it's not impossible, but it's always a toss-up when chaining multiple adapters, especially when active conversion is needed, which is the case here. It may work, or you may get no signal.

There are no HDMI to DP adapters that support 1080p 144 Hz, but there are a few available that will work up to 1080p 120 Hz.

The DP to HDMI side also has considerations, it will need to be Type 2 adapter, otherwise it will be limited to 1080p 60 Hz.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...play-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP&input=HDMI

Reactions: moccor
Solution

moccor

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
Wow I learned some new stuff from your post and info, thanks. I think I am going to try it. I seen the active adapters but if I need those I would be better off just selling the monitor and putting the cost of the monitor + adapter towards a new monitor that wouldn't even need it haha. But with this info, like you said theoretically it could work. I will ask Amazon if I can return opened cables if it turns out it doesn't work. I actually only use the 120Hz due to lightboost but I mentioned it to avoid confusion with the monitors specs.

I will def follow up whether or not it works cuz it def shouldn't be a common thing to chain together 3 cables

Edit: wait now I just noticed, I guess even though it would be going from displayport > hdmi > displayport, I guess that means it still requires the active adapter. But now I also wonder if the mClassic itself acts like a active adapter

Edit 2: after picking out all the cables and having it in my amazon cart, it comes to 52$... as much as I am curious if this all would work I think the smarter decision is to just sell this monitor and put the 52 towards a monitor that actually supports HDMI @ 120Hz

Last edited: