Mini displayport vs HDMI

seanmcd91

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I currently own a monitor that only has HDMI and DVI. I recently have been reading that displayport is much better than DVI and HDMI, for computer use. Is this really true? I would like to get displayport quality graphics, so would a miniDP to HDMI adapter do this, or will it only be downgrade to HDMI quality? My monitor is a ASUS vs247h-p, it has no sound but I still want the best picture possible. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks!

-Computer will have a HD 7850 graphics card, and has currently the intel 4000 graphics on the 3570k,

Having a Displayport isn't going to improve the quality of your graphics, nor does your monitor even use it.
You should simply be using the DVI input.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

You may wish to print out the following:

Other:
Catalyst Control Center:
- the Advanced Video Color (i.e. flesh tones etc) should be disabled as they screw up the video
- make sure to install the drivers for your monitor
- enable "GPU Scaling"
- enable EDID (applies proper colour; can be too saturated if not applied)

more:
- I used the K-Lite Codec Pack Standard. I enable hardware acceleration (DXVA) for MPEG2, AVC and VC-1 (will ask during installation) so most of the processing is done on the graphics chip. The media player is MPC-HC. I also recommend only one instance, remember the DVD and Video playback positions.

*If your motherboard has Virtu you will need to experiment if it provides a benefit to a game. If in doubt don't use it until you read up on it.

Hello,

DVI, DP, and HDMI are all digital connections. Using a minidp to HDMI should work no problem. Where you might run into problems is if you usa a VGA (analog) to a digital connection.

AFAIK the only advantage of DP is that it has higher bandwidth than HDMI (therefore allows higher/more resolutions).

Edit: Since they are all digital connections - there won't be a difference in image quality.

seanmcd91

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

Okay thanks. I just wanted to see if their was any benefit to DP.. I see it on every card but don't see the purpose unless you are running multiple monitors, i read somewhere that it is good for multiple monitor setups.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
With ATI cards if you want to run more than 2 monitors the 3rd has to be displayport. For the past 2 years with my 5850 I used a Displayport to DVI adapter. In February I upgraded to 3 24 inch Asus monitors with displayport. Like everyone has stated, there is no difference in the image quality. I mostly did it out of convenience, since I was upgrading monitors I figured why not get the ones that will work without using an adapter, but other than that I get no advantage from having displayport monitors.