Mini DVD-R How to tell is disc is finalized and how to digitize for PC and TV playback?

KimiB333

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
I have an older camcorder (Hitachi DZ-MV730A) and a lots of DVD-R discs. I want to convert them so that they can be played on both a computer and a TV. How can I tell if a disc has already been finalized (using the Camcorder), and how can I convert it to digital that is shareable and playable on both laptop and TV? I have already converted all my other formats, either on my own or through Legacy Box, but no services convert DVD-R (mini) discs. I have a MacBook Pro (2015 with Retina) that has Parallels with Windows 10. Thank you Hope you are all well.

If I remember correctly, "finalizing" made these disks look like ordinary movie DVDs, with menues, chapters etc. So if you put such a mini-disk into ordinary DVD player, if it is finalized, you should be able to play it.

I have an older camcorder (Hitachi DZ-MV730A) and a lots of DVD-R discs. I want to convert them so that they can be played on both a computer and a TV. How can I tell if a disc has already been finalized (using the Camcorder), and how can I convert it to digital that is shareable and playable on both laptop and TV? I have already converted all my other formats, either on my own or through Legacy Box, but no services convert DVD-R (mini) discs. I have a MacBook Pro (2015 with Retina) that has Parallels with Windows 10. Thank you Hope you are all well.

If you are recording it in the camcorder it should already be finalized to play on a TV. Have you tried them and they don't work? If it's on a DVD disk, it's already digital.

KimiB333

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
These disks must be finalized, on the original camcorder, or they cannot he played back on any other device. I haven’t had time to follow up with this until now. All of the disks that were finalized back in the day, will play on various DVD players in my home. But all of the disks that were not finalized are not being accessed by my camcorder so that I can finalize them. After hours of frustration, I took one of the finalized disks, that is working on other devices, and put it in the camcorder and realized that that’s not being recognized either. So apparently there’s a problem with my camcorder. The real problem for me is I have about 15 discs that have many memories of my children when they were small that I cannot finalize unless I get this camcorder to work. I’m a little bit freaking out here

KimiB333

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
If I remember correctly, "finalizing" made these disks look like ordinary movie DVDs, with menues, chapters etc. So if you put such a mini-disk into ordinary DVD player, if it is finalized, you should be able to play it.
That is true and the finalized disks do playback on other devices. My problem is I need to finalize others and it isn’t allowing me to do so.