Question Mini freezes above 30 fps

Feb 9, 2022
Hey guys, I was just wondering if someone could help me with this issue.
I tried a bunch of games and got the same problem, when I dont set the fps limit to 30 or 60 the game starts mini freezing every second for 1/5 of a second.
Tomb Raider-capped at 60 fps no problem, when not capped mini freezes
RDR 2-capped at 30 no problem, same thing
GTAV- capped at 60 ......you know
Any1 familiar with this?
I reinstalled drivers, Windows, gpu temps are good in afterburner,
So I get above 60 fps in most games but still the stuttering or freezing appears when fps is not capped
I am using a TV for gaming not a monitor if that makes any difference....

Feb 9, 2022
Hey there,

You will really need to list your full PC specs? Then we can assist possibly.

Have you tried v-sync? Does it make any difference?

Hi, sure
Its not a very good pc but still we are talking about older games like GTAV and Tomb Raider so thats the reason for confusion
B450 Gaming Plus
AMD Ryzen 3 3200g
2x Kingston DIMM DDR4 4GB 3200MHz
Sapphire NITRO Radeon RX 480 OC 4gb
Be Quiet! SYSTEM POWER 9 500W

Tried Vsync wiht all the games, doesnt seem to make any difference except in Tomb Raider when its on it stays locked at 60fps and no stuttering, if i turn it off I get 100+ fps with the stuttering....
In God of War when I lock it at 30 fps there are no problems, when i remove the cap I get like 50 fps with the stuttering with or without vsync...

I suspect the issue here is your ram. Although you have 2 x 4gb (dual channel which is good) once your 8gb fills up your system will then start to use the swap file/virtual mem which is much slower than your ram. This causes stuttering.
By capping fps, it's kinda masking the issue.

Set up MSI afterburner OSD to show your CPU/ GPU usage/temps/clockspeed etc. ANd look for anything that's hitting 100% usage. Let us know what you find.

Reactions: delargea9
Feb 9, 2022
I suspect the issue here is your ram. Although you have 2 x 4gb (dual channel which is good) once your 8gb fills up your system will then start to use the swap file/virtual mem which is much slower than your ram. This causes stuttering.
By capping fps, it's kinda masking the issue.

Set up MSI afterburner OSD to show your CPU/ GPU usage/temps/clockspeed etc. ANd look for anything that's hitting 100% usage. Let us know what you find.
Sorry for the bad image, for some reason couldnt screenshot with afterburner, thanks in advance
https://postimg.cc/tspj8gKx