Mini ITX case that needs to fit my custom desk

Tomas Jonsson

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
My scenario is the following: I don't have a lot of space in the apartment I'm currently renting and had to make a custom desk for my music production in the window of my living room. I've currently measured everything and everything will fit EXCEPT a full ATX case, in fact the dimensions I have for my computer will probably only fit a mini-itx case. The space I have is: 215x238x390 mm (WxHxD). Now the reason I want a PC over a Mac is upgradeability (I'm a computer tech), but I am not completely biased. I prefer INTEL over AMD, and I do almost no gaming. I'll do the rare photoshop/video edit, but nothing intense (the option for a better video card a little further down the road would be good so it should be able to handle a maybe 2 expantion cards). Ram will have to be at least 16 GB, and I will have 1 SSD and 1-2 2TB 3,5" (depending on space).

So I was wondering, if you could suggest a build that is top of the line, best of now AND fits the dimentions. Thank you!

Rammy

Honorable
Weirdly enough, it's width that is your limiting dimension.
(W*H*D)
CM Elite 110 - 260*208*280
CM Elite 120/130 - 240*207*399
Fractal Design Node 304 - 250*210*374
Silverstone SG05/06 - 220*177*276/286
Silverstone SG07/08 - 222*190*350

Your issue is that an ITX motherboard is 170mm wide. Factor in a double slot expansion, and that is nearer to 200.
Factor in case thickness and some gaps for clearances, and you can see why it'll be hard to find a case that's narrower than 215mm. Technically, some of these cases would work ok on their side, but it'd be a bit of a weak solution.
There are cases where the motherboard sits vertically, but I can't find any which are shorter than 238mm.

Tomas Jonsson

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Approximate Purchase Date: The next few weeks

Budget Range: No budget...

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Music production, the odd photo/video manipulation

Are you buying a monitor: Yes x 2

Parts to Upgrade: Completely new system

Do you need to buy OS: No, already have home license

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preferred website

Parts Preferences: Intel mobo (not biased)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: Upgrading 1920x1080, 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My I7 laptop is work only and I want to do some recording.

Looking at the sg05 and sg06 they both would be able to fit. I can recess the case so that it's behind a pillar, leaving the power button still in plain view.