[SOLVED] Mini-ITX / Micro-ITX Build for Gaming (1080p)

Sep 19, 2019
Hello,
Lets start right away, I´m not getting AMD, because I already own a Intel i7 9700K that was priced at same as a Ryzen 5 3600 so therefore, no thanks!
Second, it has to be a small factor case, sure they aren´t the smallest but I move once at month so... the problem is I´m living in Portugal and local store have limited chooses.

I have 2 cases "only". A Bitfenix Phenom M and a new released Lian TU 150. Don´t care about aesthetics or RGB because I won´t do it.
Here is what I planed (2 options). I like modding so I know Phenom M has a bad cooling solution/ airflow but I can maybe manage it? Not sure! I can drill holes on the side of the case, damn I can even drill holes and attach some sorte of fan to exhaust.

Option 1
  • Case Micro-ATX BitFenix Phenom M P
  • Fan BitFenix Spectre Pro Branco 230mm (Bottom)
  • Fan be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High-Speed 120mm (2x)
  • Fan be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High-Speed 140mm (2x)
  • PSU Modular Seasonic Focus+ 650W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Intel Core i7 9700K 8-Core
  • Cooler CPU be quiet! Dark Rock TF + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
  • Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming (Wi-Fi)
  • G.Skill Kit 16GB (2 x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18
  • SSD Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVMe 2280
  • GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 8GB
  • Monitor Asus 27" VG278Q FreeSync 144Hz 1ms with G-Sync

For this option, I´m planing to add 2 intakes (top) and 2 outtakes (140mm and 230mm). A side note, maybe I can fit a additional 140mm at side panel cutting it to exhaust? Would that any good?

Option 2
  • Case Mini-ITX Lian Li TU150 (Silver)
  • PSU Modular Corsair SF 600W SFX 80+ Gold
  • Cooler CPU be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
  • Motherboard MSI MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC

In this case, well the intake comes from the front and the outtake goes rear, pretty simple. Can´t drill any holes since side-panel is window.

I do pre-order already the GPU and Monitor, they had a big discount and some offers.

Any additional help to is welcome. I do plan Overclock GPU and CPU, wanna reach the i7 9700K to 5.0GHz stable with safe temps.

Thanks alote!
Hug´s from Portugal!

Solution
I think that option 1 would probably be better (definitely so if you're planning on going through with the mods). Since you're attempting to overclock, then the more cooling the better, so I'm leaning toward that option. If you're going for gaming and got a good deal, good for you with the 9700k. I don't have lots of experience with overclocking and big air coolers, but dark rock pro 4 seems like a beastly one and should definitely get you far.
Hello,
Lets start right away, I´m not getting AMD, because I already own a Intel i7 9700K that was priced at same as a Ryzen 5 3600 so therefore, no thanks!
Second, it has to be a small factor case, sure they aren´t the smallest but I move once at month so... the problem is I´m living in Portugal and local store have limited chooses.

I have 2 cases "only". A Bitfenix Phenom M and a new released Lian TU 150. Don´t care about aesthetics or RGB because I won´t do it.
Here is what I planed (2 options). I like modding so I know Phenom M has a bad cooling solution/ airflow but I can maybe manage it? Not sure! I can drill holes on the side of the case, damn I can even drill holes and attach some sorte of fan to exhaust.

Option 1
  • Case Micro-ATX BitFenix Phenom M P
  • Fan BitFenix Spectre Pro Branco 230mm (Bottom)
  • Fan be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High-Speed 140mm (2x)
  • PSU Modular Seasonic Focus+ 650W 80+ Gold
  • Cooler CPU be quiet! Dark Rock TF + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
  • Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming (Wi-Fi)
For this option, I´m planing to add 2 intakes (top) and 2 outtakes (140mm and 230mm). A side note, maybe I can fit a additional 140mm at side panel cutting it to exhaust? Would that any good?

Option 2
  • Case Mini-ITX Lian Li TU150 (Silver)
  • PSU Modular Corsair SF 600W SFX 80+ Gold
  • Cooler CPU be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
  • Motherboard MSI MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC
In this case, well the intake comes from the front and the outtake goes rear, pretty simple. Can´t drill any holes since side-panel is window.

I do pre-order already the GPU and Monitor, they had a big discount and some offers.

Any additional help to is welcome. I do plan Overclock GPU and CPU, wanna reach the i7 9700K to 5.0GHz stable with safe temps.

Thanks alote!
Hug´s from Portugal!
The issue with a Mini ITX case is the dimensions of the GPU and what coolers you can fit into it. In mine (H200i) I can fit a 300mm long GPU in or a 240mm Rad, or a smaller GPU and a 240mm rad. So what are your case clearances?
Cheers.
Also the 9700K only has 8 threads and is overpriced you kinda made a mistake there.

Sep 19, 2019
The issue with a Mini ITX case is the dimensions of the GPU and what coolers you can fit into it. In mine (H200i) I can fit a 300mm long GPU in or a 240mm Rad, or a smaller GPU and a 240mm rad. So what are your case clearances?
Cheers.
Also the 9700K only has 8 threads and is overpriced you kinda made a mistake there.
Cheers.

I can fit a Dark Rock 4 Pro (they even showcased) and a GPU as long as 320mm....

What u mean by mistake "on" i7 9700K"?
AMD performer lower in most games even against a i5 9400F lol, so whats ur point?

i5 9600K? Some say its the best CPU, others say the i7 8700....

The case is good trust me, AIO isnt the best cooling, Dark Rock 4 Pro almost wins every AIO.

I can fit a Dark Rock 4 Pro (they even showcased) and a GPU as long as 320mm....

What u mean by mistake "on" i7 9700K"?
AMD performer lower in most games even against a i5 9400F lol, so whats ur point?

i5 9600K? Some say its the best CPU, others say the i7 8700....

The case is good trust me, AIO isnt the best cooling, Dark Rock 4 Pro almost wins every AIO.
Would it interfere with tour RAM though?

What AMD, what workload? The closest Ryzen to a 9700K is a 3700X which destroys the intel chip in productivity and matches it in gaming and will exceed it in gaming when as games are being designed to use more cores now, especially with the consoles jumping to 8 Zen cores against last gens not really 8 cores. A 9400F is competing price wise against a last gen 2600, the 3600 stomps it.

You’re about a year out of date. 3rd gen Zen caught intel on the single core front. For a lower TDP with a higher core count at a lower price.

You’re in a small case, I am a be quiet fanboy if I could say you should go Dark Rock Pro then I would but it is rather massive. The slim which barely makes it in my case with the RAM clearance I don’t think is enough to keep a 9700K under 80C when you peg it at 5Ghz because that’s all that makes intels chips worth anything now.

Reactions: docbooth
I think that option 1 would probably be better (definitely so if you're planning on going through with the mods). Since you're attempting to overclock, then the more cooling the better, so I'm leaning toward that option. If you're going for gaming and got a good deal, good for you with the 9700k. I don't have lots of experience with overclocking and big air coolers, but dark rock pro 4 seems like a beastly one and should definitely get you far.

Solution