Question Mini ITX PC case Mac Mini style

Agraf273

Commendable
Aug 6, 2017
As title says I found a very cute and little ITX case 197x197x60 and x80 at heightI. Would need your help for motherboard 24pin and cpu 4/8pin Power Supply decision.

mobo: GA aorus Z390 I pro wifi miniITX
CPU: Intel i7 8700 or maybe the i3 8100
iGpu: Intel UHD 630
Boot drive: NVMe m.2 SSD or SATA SSD (I have both in my current pc)
WiFi/BT: Apple original card with M key and A/E Key PCIe and USB adapters (it is working great)
CPU cooler: Any low-profile fan cooler 90~92mm dimensions fan and radiator size to fit in the case limits. 60mm height preferred
Case fans: 2x50x10mm 4pin for exhaust
PC use: everyday personal miniHackintosh, office, internet etc

nanoPSU is included and comes at 150w max with power adapter around 90w but only 4pin for cpu. What is your recommendation? My cpu could work with only 4pin? Is this possible in general without low power problems? Is it easy solved with a little extension cable adapter from 4pin to 2x4pin? Because I don’t know.

There is also an issue with motherboard it cannot recognize or detect my Nvme disk at all in the backside m.2 slot. At that situation I asked Gigabyte about it and still looking for a real solution. GA says it should work normal on both of the m.2 slots the same.. So in this situation I am going to use a SATA SSD Samsung EVo 860 placed under the top cover of the case with a bracket. And then cpu cooler limit would be at 36mm, so I m looking for even lower maybe 30mm profile air cooler. Would an i7-8700 suffer in that case? How about i3-8100?

What is your experiences/ideas about thermals/temperatures in this build?

Lutfij

Titan
Is it at all possible to parse on a link to your case? If the case comes with a Pico style PSu that only has a 4pin, then that's probably a tell tale sign that the case cannot support higher spec'd parts. Are those case dimensions in millimeters or centimeters?

Pertaining to your board, you might want to see what version of BIOS your board is on. If you've got BIOS versions pending, gradually update them manually to the latest(sans Beta). You also forgot to list the make and models of both the SSD's.

I could suggest you go for a HDPlex PSU but that would be bad on my part since I can't tell if the case was/wasn't meant for that kind of hardware. Often times I come across people with SFF builds and they have to live with compromises. You look like you've made the biggest compromise by ditching a discrete GPU due to the case.

Agraf273

Commendable
Aug 6, 2017
Hello and thank you for your answer. All my components are already setup in a micro atx case currently with normal thermals, psu 650w, AMD dGpu etc. But yet I need to change pc to something smaller, sff and Mac mini style. And it’s important.
All my thoughts are on how to power this motherboard with 8th generation cpu.
Ok check the link https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/onzjVE9i
the silver one before last with 120w adapter/150w dc-atx. I think there are also more picoPSUs to 250-300watts. They are all max 4pin cpu and I like this HTPC case. In my experience I am disappointed by the gaming manufacturers pc cases. I don’t like them at all.

My second m.2 slot is a big issue to me and I guess it would be to everyone and I will find out what is going on soon. I checked everything. The back slot seems to be dead.

I placed order : ) Can I use 4pin finally in my 8pin mobo? I m going to replace i7 with the i3-8100. And install Mojave 10.14.6 into one drive of two.

Last edited:

Agraf273

Commendable
Aug 6, 2017
I think I forgot nothing about my board. It is checked by the dealer and proved that is working full functional but it cannot support Nvme SSDs in the backside M2M. I don’t believe this.