Mini ITX power supply in case that fits ATX

jim90808

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
I got a COOLER MASTER Elite and bought an 400W mini-ITX power supply to go with it. When I got the case, I realized it can fit a full size ATX power supply (in my own defense the case I original ordered was out of stock, so after I already had the power supply I bought the COOLER MASTER, not noticing that it said it would fit an ATX power supply). So I put it together anyway, but of course I have a hole in the back of the case as the mini-ITX power supply doesn't fully cover the opening the case has for the ATX power supply.

Suggestions?

ie. Leave it, cover it, return the power supply and get an ATX sized one, etc..?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which CM Elite? I have the Elite 110, and honestly, I would avoid using a full ATX PSU if I were to build in one again.

I'm assuming you have an SFX PSU? As it's not as "tall" as a full ATX PSU, it won't reach the lower mounting holes - it will essentially "hang" from the screws that you can secure it with.

It really depends how secure it feels to you. There's absolutely no problem in securing it that way - and the increased room to work with would be great (I imagine).

Theres zero harm in leaving it as it is, I wouldn't bother trying to come up with ways to cover the gap etc, and I would definitely suggest you avoid going the ATX route, unless you have to.

I agree with jim. Get a PSU that's designed for that case. You've probably got that mini-ITX PSU secured to the case with only two screws instead of four, and that's not advisable, not least because it will vibrate causing increased noise that will get on your nerves.

If you're going to build a PC, use the right components.

jim90808

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016

The actual case I got is: COOLER MASTER Elite 110 RC-110-KKN2 Midnight Black Steel / Plastic Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case with Standard Size ATX PSU and 120mm Radiator Support Compatible with Standard ATX PS2 (not included) Power Supply

and the power supply I installed is: Solid Gear FLEX / Mini ITX 400 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply, for 1U, FLEX ATX w/ 2 x PCIE 6+2 Connector. 40mm fan, Dimension: 6"x3.2"x1.5"

jim90808

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016

That is correct. Its hanging off of two screws.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I have exactly the same case Jim.

While a shorter PSU (with the same 'surface area' as a full ATX PSU...... a 'short' ATX maybe, not sure if there's a term) would be the ideal solution when working in that case, a SFF PSU will work just fine - and leave you the optimum amount of room to work with inside the case - as you know, it's SMALL.

The problem with full ATX PSUs (and full length at that) in the Elite 110 is it leaves a matter of mm for CPU cooler clearance. I went with all-in-one liquid cooling for mine, but then the PSU applies pressure to the liquid cooler hoses - regardless of how you arrange the setup.

Honestly, it should be fine. If you're worried about stability with it, you could always run a zip tie and secure the PSU to the HDD mounting bracket on top for added support - but I doubt you'd need it.

I'm not confirming the quality of that PSU - it's been covered already that it's far from the best.
Simply the form factor. The smaller PSU (preferrably quality, of course), the easier life will be in that case.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I see you've selected an answer - of get a full ATX.

The case can certainly accommodate it - it just gets tight.
So, try to find a quality PSU, see: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
Tier 1 or 2.

But also try to find one as short as possible - modular preferred.
A handy list over overclock.net: http://www.overclock.net/t/1537311/short-psu-list-atx-psus-that-are-160mm-and-shorter-including-non-atx-small-case-friendly-rev-2-june-2015

Most ATX PSUs are around 160mm in length. Anything you can save from there would be beneficial. Somewhere in the 140-150mm range would be ideal.

jim90808

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016

Actually I changed my mind and am going with this plan. Gets me up and running now too. :)

Your choice but I wouldn't if you can return it.

You never mentioned your components , anything past a 60-85w Intel CPU & a 960 I wouldn't entertain on it.

Putting those 2 pci-express cables (which have a theoretical draw of 300w ) on a PSU only capable of 336w output is a surefire sign of incredibly sketchy manufacturing quality.

jim90808

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016

For the record I returned the itx psu and got an atx one. It fits comfortably and has plenty of power (500 w) for my needs. It's quite quiet too.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Is it a quality one? The quality is far more important here than the form factor.

jim90808

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016

I put in an Antec VP550F 550w Continuous Power PSU ATX Power Supply.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's untiered in this list: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
But Antec's VP line is Tier 3, and the VP-F is still made by Delta, so I'd assuming Tier 3 also (although don't quote me on that).

Far from the worst you could've bought, absolutely. A million times better than what you had, but I doubt it would've been many people's top pick. How much was the PSU, out of curiosity? And where did you buy it from?

jim90808

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016

I'm sure its fine for my mini-itx setup. The only components I have on it are my cpu, hdd, and my geforce gtx 970. I paid $60 from Frys. I hate going there but I didn't want to wait the day for one to come from Newegg (my preferred choice of online realtor as they ship from only 20 miles from me so even the super saver, free shipping, comes overnight).