Question Mini-ITX suggestions

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have an old SUGO Silverstone style case, actually seems to be back in all black Silverstone SG05BB-450-USB3.0
But my latest acquisition of an ASRock A380 Challenger GPU has led to a small problem. The 8-pin PCIe connector coming off the top of the card runs right into SATA power plug coming off the back of my SSD. I crammed it in there, but the GPU PCB is under considerable strain and I don't want to leave it like that long term. I have considered relocating the drive, but I also don't like the way the power cables come off the back of the supply and run right into the un-used optical drive tray.

So I am looking for suggestions on a small case for the living room. Most price points will be considered as the selection of Mini-ITX chassis on partpicker is a little light. Only the NR200 seems like a good choice, but is significantly larger. So if you know of any cases sold direct to consumer or the like, put your suggestions down.

ASRock Challenger RX6400 filling in as a place holder.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 CL9 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Red Plus 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger ITX Radeon RX 6400 4 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 450 GM 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-28 14:54 EDT-0400

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
A few cases I have used in the living room include the Rajintek Metis +, Lian Li Q series, Silverstone's Grandia (current), and a Cooler Master Elite that is much like what you have now.

For size, I liked the Metis. It's small size and strange arrangement led to problems with heat on high powered components as well as having issue with longer GPU. In my own case I removed the front panel I/O and replaced the plexi side panel with critter cage. It helped a bit but even with the mod, having a 1080 GPU inside led to issues while gaming.

For feature, I liked the Lian Li. It was a fairly well thought out case for its time. It was, by far, the best looking of all the cases in relation to "furniture". It was not particularly good for gaming.

The Silverstone I have now is basically only because I use it inside the "entertainment center" alongside the receiver, cable box, etc. The wife didn't like my having a PC case sitting beside said in the living room. It has its own limitations, particularly with cooling, but it looks the part.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A few cases I have used in the living room include the Rajintek Metis +, Lian Li Q series, Silverstone's Grandia (current), and a Cooler Master Elite that is much like what you have now.

Rajintek Metis. Kind of like an old Bitfenix Prodigy without the handles. https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=17

Lian Li Q series looks interesting, probably overkill for this build, but on the top of the short list so far: https://lian-li.com/product/a4h2o/

Q58 would look interesting in an entertainment center, but seems large. https://lian-li.com/product/q58/

Silverstone Grandia is more like a receiver, would take up a lot of floor space.

CoolerMaster Elite 110 is very similar to the Sugo, but its modern features might solve the fitment issues.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The one single "gripe" aspect of the Elite was due to it being mesh everywhere. The front fan area was very difficult to impossible to clean out and after a while developed a bit of a grungy/dust look that I didn't care for. As far as performance and temps, it was about as close to open frame as it could be, so no issues there.

That first Lian Li you linked (A4) is a good looking case IMO.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That first Lian Li you linked (A4) is a good looking case IMO.

I had seen it before, but couldn't recall who made it.

Basically a mass production version of a lot of those low volume custom cases like Dancase and the like. I have seen a few others like that that are cool, but they are like $300 or more usually. I'll probably pick that ones since it is relatively cheap. Don't really need the liquid cooling room, but it will be nice to have it around I suppose.

Maybe buy a Mini-ITX LGA1200 board and migrate my 10900F into it some day. One of the reasons I have considered upgrading my HTPC to something like an i3-10105.

But if the 13th gen information is correct, there will be locked chips with E cores and that might be even better.

TRENDING THREADS