Question Mini spikes (2-3 seconds) on games installed on my HDD

Jul 1, 2020
I have recently bought the Acer Nitro 5 (2019) version with the following specs:

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54-56LJ (SKU IN-NH.Q5BSI.004)
  • Intel® Core™ i5-9300H processor
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • 8 GB of DDR4 system memory, upgradable to 32 GB
  • 39.6 cm (15.6") display with IPS (In-Plane Switching) technology, Full HD 1920 x1080, high-brightness (300 nits) Acer ComfyViewTM LED-backlit TFT LCD, supporting 144 Hz, 3 ms Overdrive
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
  • 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD
  • 2 TB 2.5-inch 5400 RPM
(details copied from Acer website)

Everything is amazing about this laptop, however the only problem I am facing is the fact that games that are installed on the 2TB HDD are facing mini-spikes. I have tried this with DOTA 2, CSGO and Valorant (none of these games are graphically demanding per say). What happens is while the game in general is super smooth (easily 100-200+fps), suddenly the screen just freezes for 2-3 seconds. Whatever movement I make is applied and my character is at the place it would be had everything been smooth. This occurs 2-3 times in a 30-40 minute game so once in 10mins. After lurking around multiple internet forums I came to the conclusion that my HDD was the culprit and so I installed CSGO on the SSD and Voila! There are no mini spikes in CSGO and it is buttery smooth. However, I would like to know why the games are actually facing spikes on the HDD and what can be done to get rid of this problem?

Thanks in advance.

ASK THE COMMUNITY